"Medscape Medical News
March 19, 2013 -- People with low back pain may benefit from a hands-on treatment known as osteopathic manual therapy (OMT) more than they do from ultrasound therapy.
A new study suggests that OMT leads t"...
Soma Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Soma, Vanadom
Generic Name: carisoprodol (Pronunciation: kar eye soe PROE dole)
- What is carisoprodol (Soma)?
- What are the possible side effects of carisoprodol (Soma)?
- What is the most important information I should know about carisoprodol (Soma)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking carisoprodol (Soma)?
- How should I take carisoprodol (Soma)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Soma)?
- What happens if I overdose (Soma)?
- What should I avoid while taking carisoprodol (Soma)?
- What other drugs will affect carisoprodol (Soma)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is carisoprodol (Soma)?
Carisoprodol is a muscle relaxer that works by blocking pain sensations between the nerves and the brain.
Carisoprodol is used together with rest and physical therapy to treat injuries and other painful musculoskeletal conditions.
Carisoprodol may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Carisoprodol 350 mg-DAN
round, white, imprinted with DAN, 5513
Carisoprodol 350 mg-MUT
round, white, imprinted with MP 58
Carisoprodol 350 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 5513, DAN
Carisoprodol 350 mg-WES
round, white, imprinted with WW 176
What are the possible side effects of carisoprodol (Soma)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using carisoprodol and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- paralysis (loss of feeling);
- extreme weakness or lack of coordination;
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- fast heartbeat;
- seizure (convulsions);
- vision loss; or
- agitation, confusion.
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness, tremor;
- depression, feeling irritable;
- blurred vision;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- nausea, vomiting, hiccups, upset stomach.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Soma (carisoprodol) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about carisoprodol (Soma)?
This medication may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Carisoprodol should never be given to another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
You may have withdrawal symptoms when you stop using carisoprodol after using it over a long period of time. Do not stop using this medication suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely.
Carisoprodol can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by carisoprodol.
Additional Soma Information
- Soma Drug Interactions Center: carisoprodol oral
- Soma Side Effects Center
- Soma Overview including Precautions
- Soma FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Soma - User Reviews
Soma User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.