Somatuline Depot Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What are the possible side effects of lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What is the most important information I should know about lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- How should I use lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Somatuline Depot)?
- What happens if I overdose (Somatuline Depot)?
- What should I avoid while using lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What other drugs will affect lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
Before using lanreotide, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:
- gallbladder disease;
- heart disease or a heart rhythm disorder;
- thyroid problems;
- kidney disease;
- liver disease; or
- if you are allergic to latex or natural rubber.
If you have any of the conditions listed above, you may not be able to use lanreotide, or you may need a dose adjustment or special tests during treatment.
FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether lanreotide passes into breast milk. Do not use lanreotide without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
Lanreotide should be used exactly as your doctor has prescribed it for you. Do not use more of the medication than recommended. Do not use lanreotide for longer than your doctor has prescribed.
Lanreotide is given as an injection under the skin. Your doctor, nurse, or other healthcare provider will give you this injection. You may be shown how to use your medicine at home. Do not self-inject this medicine if you do not fully understand how to give the injection and properly dispose of needles and syringes used in giving the medicine.
Each prefilled syringe of lanreotide is for one use only. After giving your injection, throw away used the used needle and syringe in a puncture-proof container (ask your pharmacist where you can get one and how to dispose of it). Keep this container out of the reach of children and pets.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood may need to be tested on a regular basis. Do not miss any scheduled visits to your doctor.
Store this medication in its sealed pouch in the refrigerator, protected from light. Do not allow the medication to freeze.
To reduce discomfort from your injection, take the pouch out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before using the medication. Allow the medicine to reach room temperature before using, but never warm the medicine in hot water or a microwave. Keep the pouch sealed until you are ready for your injection.
Additional Somatuline Depot Information
- Somatuline Depot Drug Interactions Center: lanreotide subq
- Somatuline Depot Side Effects Center
- Somatuline Depot FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.