Somatuline Depot Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Somatuline Depot
Generic Name: lanreotide (Pronunciation: lan REE oh tide)
- What is lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What are the possible side effects of lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What is the most important information I should know about lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- How should I use lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Somatuline Depot)?
- What happens if I overdose (Somatuline Depot)?
- What should I avoid while using lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- What other drugs will affect lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
Lanreotide is a man-made protein that is similar to a hormone in the body called somatostatin. Lanreotide lowers many substances in the body such as insulin and glucagon (involved in regulating blood sugar), growth hormone, and chemicals that affect digestion.
Lanreotide is used to as a long-term treatment in people with acromegaly who cannot be treated with surgery or radiation.
Lanreotide is sometimes given when surgery or radiation treatments have been tried without successful treatment of symptoms.
Lanreotide may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
Stop using lanreotide and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- slow or uneven heartbeats;
- gallbladder problems (pain in your upper right stomach area with nausea and vomiting);
- thyroid problems (may be detected by blood tests);
- pale skin, weakness, easy bruising or bleeding;
- low blood sugar (headache, confusion, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, fast heartbeat, sweating, tremor, nausea); or
- high blood sugar (increased thirst, loss of appetite, fruity breath odor, increased urination, drowsiness, dry skin).
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting;
- diarrhea, constipation;
- mild stomach pain or gas;
- weight loss;
- joint pain; or
- pain, itching, or skin lump where injection was given.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about lanreotide (Somatuline Depot)?
Before using lanreotide, tell your doctor if you have diabetes, gallbladder disease, heart disease or a heart rhythm disorder, thyroid problems, kidney disease, or liver disease. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to latex or natural rubber.
Lanreotide is given as an injection under the skin. Your doctor, nurse, or other healthcare provider will give you this injection. You may be shown how to use your medicine at home. Do not self-inject this medicine if you do not fully understand how to give the injection and properly dispose of needles and syringes used in giving the medicine.
Each prefilled syringe of lanreotide is for one use only. After giving your injection, throw away used the used needle and syringe in a puncture-proof container (ask your pharmacist where you can get one and how to dispose of it). Keep this container out of the reach of children and pets.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood may need to be tested on a regular basis. Do not miss any scheduled visits to your doctor.
Serious side effects of lanreotide include slow or uneven heartbeats, pain in your upper right stomach with nausea and vomiting, pale skin, weakness, easy bruising or bleeding, low blood sugar (confusion, weakness, sweating, tremor, nausea), or high blood sugar (increased thirst or urination, loss of appetite, fruity breath odor, dry skin).
Additional Somatuline Depot Information
- Somatuline Depot Drug Interactions Center: lanreotide subq
- Somatuline Depot Side Effects Center
- Somatuline Depot FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.