"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Dotarem (gadoterate meglumine) for use in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain, spine and associated tissues of patients ages 2 years and older.
Dotarem is a gadolinium-based"...
Somavert Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is pegvisomant (Somavert)?
- What are the possible side effects of pegvisomant (Somavert)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pegvisomant (Somavert)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking pegvisomant (Somavert)?
- How should I take pegvisomant (Somavert)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Somavert)?
- What happens if I overdose (Somavert)?
- What should I avoid while taking pegvisomant (Somavert)?
- What other drugs will affect pegvisomant (Somavert)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking pegvisomant (Somavert)?
Before taking pegvisomant, tell your doctor if you
- have an allergy to pegvisomant, another growth hormone product, or latex (the stopper on the vial of Somavert contains latex);
- have a tumor that secretes growth hormone;
- have diabetes;
- have liver problems; or
- are taking a narcotic pain or cough medication such as codeine (Tylenol #3, others), hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lorcet, others), oxycodone (Percocet, others), morphine (MS Contin, MSIR, OxyContin, others), fentanyl (Duragesic, others), and others.
You may not be able to take pegvisomant or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment.
Pegvisomant is in the FDA pregnancy category B. This means that pegvisomant is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take pegvisomant without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether pegvisomant passes into breast milk. Do not take pegvisomant without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take pegvisomant (Somavert)?
Take pegvisomant exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to explain them to you.
Pegvisomant is administered as a subcutaneous (under the skin) injection. Your healthcare provider will give you detailed instructions regarding how to administer the injection.
The pegvisomant powder must be mixed with the supplied sterile water for injection before each dose. Instructions regarding mixing the solution are included with the product. Follow them closely.
In general, 1 mL of the Sterile Water for Injection should be injected into the vial of pegvisomant, aiming the stream of liquid against the glass wall of the vial. Then, gently roll the vial between the palms of both hands to dissolve the powder. Do not shake the vial. Shaking the vial could damage the proteins in the medication and decrease its effectiveness.
After mixing, the solution should be clear and should not contain any particles. If the solution is cloudy or contains particles, do not inject it.
After mixing the solution, the medication should be administered as soon as possible or within 6 hours.
Administer only one dose from each vial. Throw away any remaining medication after administering one dose.
The stopper on the vial of Somavert contains latex. Do not use this product without first talking to your doctor if you are allergic to latex.
It is important to use pegvisomant regularly to get the most benefit.
Your doctor will want you to have blood tests and/or other medical evaluations during treatment with pegvisomant to monitor progress and side effects. It is especially important to monitor liver function and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I) with regularly scheduled blood tests.
Store unmixed pegvisomant in the refrigerator between 36 and 46 degrees Fahrenheit (2 and 8 degrees Celsius).
Additional Somavert Information
Somavert - User Reviews
Somavert User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.