Sore Tongue Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
A number of different conditions can result in pain and/or the presence of abnormalities or sores on the tongue. Problems with the tongue can result from infections, tumors, chronic medical conditions, trauma, or toxins. Inflammation of the tongue is medically known as glossitis. Pain in the tongue is known as glossodynia. Because soreness or painful lesions on the tongue can have a wide variety of causes, treatment and outlook depend upon the particular condition that is responsible.
In some cases, pain that originates in other sources (such as cardiac angina or problems with the teeth and/or jaws) can be experienced in the tongue, even though the tongue itself is normal. This is known as referred pain.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Sore Tongue
In This ArticleAllergy Article
- Allergy facts
- Allergy overview
- What is an allergy?
- What causes allergies?
- Who is at risk for allergies and why?
- What are common allergic conditions and what are allergy symptoms and signs?
- Allergic rhinitis (hay fever)
- Allergic eyes (conjunctivitis)
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis)
- Hives (urticaria)
- Allergic shock (anaphylaxis)
- Where are allergens?
- In the air we breathe
- In what we ingest
- Touching our skin
- Injected into our body
In This ArticleAnemia Article
- Anemia facts*
- What is anemia?
- What causes anemia?
- Can inadequate iron cause anemia?
- What about acute (sudden) blood loss as a cause of anemia?
- What are other causes of anemia?
- Can anemia be hereditary?
- What are the symptoms of anemia?
- How is anemia diagnosed?
- What is a complete blood cell (CBC) count?
- How is blood collected for a complete blood cell (CBC)?
- What is the red blood cell (RBC) count?
- What is hemoglobin?
- What does a low hemoglobin level mean?
- What is the hematocrit?
- How is hematocrit determined?
- How is anemia treated?
- What are the complications of anemia?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for anemia?
In This ArticleAngina Article
- Angina facts
- Introduction to angina
- What is angina and what are the symptoms of angina?
- What causes angina?
- What are other causes of chest pain?
- Why is it important to establish the diagnosis of angina?
- How is angina diagnosed?
- What are the treatment options for angina patients?
- Angina medications
- Angioplasty and coronary artery bypass surgery
- What's new in the evaluation of angina?
- What's new in the treatment of angina and heart attacks?
In This ArticleBirth Defects Article
- What are birth defects?
- What causes birth defects?
- What are the different types of birth defects?
- What are the treatments for birth defects?
In This ArticleBurning Mouth Syndrome Article
- What are signs and symptoms of burning mouth syndrome?
- What are causes of burning mouth syndrome?
- How is burning mouth syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for burning mouth syndrome?
- What are helpful tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome?
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleCanker Sores Article
- Canker sores facts
- What are canker sores?
- What are symptoms of canker sores?
- What are the causes of canker sores?
- Are canker sores the same as fever blisters?
- What is the treatment for canker sores?
- What kind of topical medications (gels or ointments) are available for canker sores?
- Can mouthwash solutions be used with canker sores?
- What oral medications are available to help canker sores?
- What should I do if I get canker sores frequently?
In This ArticleDiabetic Neuropathy Article
- Diabetic neuropathy facts
- What is diabetic neuropathy?
- What are the types of diabetic neuropathy?
- What are the symptoms and signs of diabetic neuropathy?
- How is diabetic neuropathy diagnosed?
- What are treatments for diabetic neuropathy?
- What are self-care measures to help relieve diabetic neuropathy?
- Can diabetic neuropathy be prevented?
In This ArticleGastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Article
- GERD facts
- What is GERD (acid reflux)?
- What causes GERD?
- What are the symptoms of uncomplicated GERD?
- What are the complications of GERD?
- How is GERD diagnosed and evaluated?
- Symptoms and procedures to diagnose GERD
- GERD tests
- How is GERD treated?
- Lifestyle changes and GERD diet
- GERD medications
- GERD surgery
- What is a reasonable approach to the management of GERD?
- What are the unresolved issues in GERD?
Herpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores, Non-Genital) Herpes simplex infections are common and when they appear around the mouth and lips, people often refer to them as "cold sores"...learn more »In This ArticleHerpes Simplex Infections (Cold Sores, Non-Genital) Article
- Herpes simplex infections (nongenital cold sores) facts
- What are herpes simplex infections?
- What causes cold sores?
- What makes herpes (cold sores) recur?
- How do cold sores spread?
- What are the signs and symptoms of cold sores?
- What is primary oral herpes?
- What does recurrent herpes look like?
- How long do cold sores last?
- What are the possible complications of oral herpes (cold sores)?
- What other conditions can look like oral herpes (cold sores)?
- What is angular stomatitis?
- What are canker sores?
- How is oral herpes diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for cold sores, are there any home remedies, and what medications are used?
In This ArticleHypothyroidism Article
- Hypothyroidism facts
- What is hypothyroidism?
- What are the thyroid hormones?
- Thyroid hormone regulation - the chain of command
- What causes hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?
- How is hypothyroidism treated?
- What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
- What's best for you?
In This ArticleLeukoplakia Article
- What causes Leukoplakia?
- What are the symptoms?
- How is Leukoplakia diagnosed?
- How is Leukoplakia treated?
In This ArticleLichen Planus Article
- Lichen planus facts
- What is lichen planus?
- What causes lichen planus?
- How is the rash of lichen planus different from that of most other common rashes?
- What are the symptoms and signs of lichen planus?
- What does lichen planus look like?
- How is lichen planus diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for lichen planus?
- What is the long-term prognosis of lichen planus?
In This ArticleOral Cancer Article
- What is the oral cavity?
- What is cancer?
- Who's at risk for oral cancer?
- What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
- How is oral cancer diagnosed?
- How is oral cancer treated?
- Methods of treatment
- What are the side effects of treatment for oral cancer?
- What is rehabilitation for oral cancer?
- What happens after treatment for oral cancer?
- What does the future hold for patients with oral cancer?
- What resources are available to patients with oral cancer?
- Oral Cancer At A Glance
In This ArticleSmoking (How to Quit Smoking) Article
- Smoking and quitting smoking facts
- What problems are caused by smoking?
- What is addictive disease and why is smoking considered addictive?
- What are the signs of cigarette addiction?
- Why should someone quit smoking?
- What are the steps in quitting?
- Getting ready to quit smoking
- On the day you quit smoking
- Staying quit
- What methods can help a person quit smoking?
- Behavioral modification and self-help literature to quit smoking
- Nicotine replacement therapy to quit smoking
- What prescription products are available for smoking cessation?
- How are nicotine-containing products used safely?
- What is in the future for smoking?
In This ArticleTeeth Grinding (Bruxism) Article
- What causes people to grind their teeth?
- What are bruxism symptoms and signs?
- Why is teeth grinding harmful?
- What is the treatment for bruxism?
- Do children grind their teeth?
In This ArticleThrush Article
- Thrush facts
- What is thrush?
- What causes thrush?
- What are risk factors for thrush?
- What are thrush symptoms and signs?
- How is thrush diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for thrush?
- Are there home remedies for thrush?
- What is the prognosis of thrush?
- Can thrush be prevented?
In This ArticleToothache Article
- What is a toothache?
- What causes a toothache?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a toothache?
- How is a toothache diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a toothache?
- Are home remedies effective for a toothache?
- How is a toothache treated during pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis for a toothache?
- Can a toothache be prevented?
Other Causes of Sore Tongue
- Bacterial Infections
- Dietary Irritants
- Fungal Infections
- Jaw Pain
- Radiation Therapy
- Viral Infections
Examples of Medications for Sore Tongue
- acetaminophen, Tylenol and Others
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.