Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
A number of different conditions can result in pain and/or the presence of abnormalities or sores on the tongue as well as symptoms like pain or burning of the tongue. Problems with the tongue can result from infections, tumors, chronic medical conditions, trauma, or toxins. Inflammation of the tongue is medically known as glossitis. Pain in the tongue is known as glossodynia. Inflammation may occur on the sides of the tongue, on the back of the tongue, or throughout the tongue. Because soreness or painful lesions on the tongue can have a wide variety of causes, treatment and outlook depend upon the particular condition that is responsible. Depending upon the exact cause, other symptoms and conditions can be associated with a sore tongue, including dehydration, dry mouth, fever, or thrush (Candida infection of the mouth). Inflammation of the tongue can lead to damage of the taste buds, tiny sensors on the surface of the tongue.
In some cases, pain that originates in other sources (such as cardiac angina or problems with the teeth and/or jaws) can be experienced in the tongue, even though the tongue itself is normal. This is known as referred pain.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Sore Tongue
In This ArticleAngina Article
- What is angina?
- What causes angina?
- What are the different types of angina?
- What are the signs and symptoms of angina?
- How is angina diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for angina?
- What is the prognosis for angina?
- Can angina be prevented?
In This ArticleBirth Defects Article
- Birth defects facts*
- What are birth defects?
- What causes birth defects?
- What are the different types of birth defects?
- What are the treatments for birth defects?
In This ArticleBurning Mouth Syndrome Article
- Burning mouth syndrome facts*
- Burning mouth syndrome introduction
- What are signs and symptoms of burning mouth syndrome?
- What are causes of burning mouth syndrome?
- How is burning mouth syndrome diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for burning mouth syndrome?
- What are helpful tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome?
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleCanker Sores Article
- Canker sores facts
- What are canker sores?
- What are symptoms and signs of canker sores?
- What are the causes of canker sores?
- Are canker sores the same as fever blisters?
- What is the treatment for canker sores?
- What kind of topical medications (gels or ointments) are available for canker sores?
- Can mouthwash solutions be used with canker sores?
- What oral medications are available to help canker sores?
- What should I do if I get canker sores frequently?
In This ArticleDiabetic Neuropathy Article
- Diabetic neuropathy facts
- What is diabetic neuropathy?
- What are the types of diabetic neuropathy?
- What are the symptoms and signs of diabetic neuropathy?
- How is diabetic neuropathy diagnosed?
- What are treatments for diabetic neuropathy?
- What are self-care measures to help relieve diabetic neuropathy?
- Can diabetic neuropathy be prevented?
In This ArticleGastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Article
- GERD facts
- What is GERD (acid reflux)?
- What causes GERD?
- What are the symptoms of uncomplicated GERD?
- What are the complications of GERD?
- How is GERD diagnosed and evaluated?
- Symptoms and procedures to diagnose GERD
- GERD tests
- How is GERD treated?
- Lifestyle changes and GERD diet
- GERD medications
- GERD surgery
- What is a reasonable approach to the management of GERD?
- What are the unresolved issues in GERD?
In This ArticleHypothyroidism Article
- Hypothyroidism facts
- What is hypothyroidism?
- What are the thyroid hormones?
- Thyroid hormone regulation - the chain of command
- What causes hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?
- How is hypothyroidism treated?
- What is subclinical hypothyroidism?
- What's best for you?
In This ArticleLeukoplakia Article
- What causes Leukoplakia?
- What are the symptoms?
- How is Leukoplakia diagnosed?
- How is Leukoplakia treated?
In This ArticleLichen Planus Article
- Lichen planus facts
- What is lichen planus?
- What causes lichen planus?
- How is the rash of lichen planus different from that of most other common rashes?
- What are the symptoms and signs of lichen planus?
- What does lichen planus look like?
- How is lichen planus diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for lichen planus?
- What is the long-term prognosis of lichen planus?
In This ArticleOral Cancer Article
- Oral cancer facts*
- What is the oral cavity?
- What is cancer?
- Who's at risk for oral cancer?
- What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
- How is oral cancer diagnosed?
- How is oral cancer treated?
- Methods of treatment
- What are the side effects of treatment for oral cancer?
- What is rehabilitation for oral cancer?
- What happens after treatment for oral cancer?
- What does the future hold for patients with oral cancer?
- What resources are available to patients with oral cancer?
In This ArticlePeptic Ulcer Article
- Peptic ulcer facts
- What is a peptic ulcer?
- What causes of peptic ulcers?
- What are symptoms of peptic ulcers?
- How is a peptic ulcer diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for peptic ulcers?
- What are the complications of peptic ulcers?
- Peptic ulcer summary
In This ArticleSmoking (How to Quit Smoking) Article
- Smoking and quitting smoking facts
- What problems are caused by smoking?
- What is addictive disease and why is smoking considered an addictive disease?
- What are the signs of cigarette addiction?
- Why should someone quit smoking?
- What are the steps in quitting?
- Getting ready to quit smoking
- On the day you quit smoking
- Staying quit
- What methods can help a person quit smoking?
- Behavioral modification and self-help literature to quit smoking
- Nicotine replacement therapy to quit smoking
- What prescription products are available for smoking cessation?
- How are nicotine-containing products used safely?
- What is in the future for smoking?
In This ArticleTeeth Grinding (Bruxism) Article
- What causes people to grind their teeth?
- What are bruxism symptoms and signs?
- Why is teeth grinding harmful?
- What is the treatment for bruxism?
- Do children grind their teeth?
In This ArticleToothache Article
- What is a toothache?
- What causes a toothache?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a toothache?
- How is a toothache diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a toothache?
- Are home remedies effective for a toothache?
- How is a toothache treated during pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis for a toothache?
- Can a toothache be prevented?
Other Causes of Sore Tongue
- Bacterial Infections
- Dietary Irritants
- Fungal Infections
- Jaw Pain
- Viral Infections
Examples of Medications for Sore Tongue
- acetaminophen, Tylenol and Others
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.