- What other names is Soy known by?
- What is Soy?
- Is Soy effective?
- How does Soy work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Soy.
In women near or after menopause, soy seems to be able to relieve hot flashes, reduce the risk of osteoporosis (weak bones), and possibly lower blood pressure.
In men, there is some evidence that soy milk might reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer.
Soy does not seem to be able to relieve hot flashes in women with breast cancer who are receiving certain anti-cancer drugs, like tamoxifen (Nolvadex), that can cause hot flashes.
There isn't enough information to know if soy is effective for the other conditions people use it for, including preventing breast and endometrial cancer.
Possibly Effective for...
- High cholesterol.
- Hot flashes caused by menopause. But it doesn't seem to help for hot flashes in women with breast cancer.
- Reducing the risk of osteoporosis (weak bones).
- Reducing the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Reducing the duration of diarrhea in infants.
- Preventing and treating diabetic nerve problems.
- Providing nutrition to infants who can't digest milk sugars.
- Reducing protein in the urine of people with kidney disease.
- Treating diabetes type 2.
Possibly Ineffective for...
- Reducing muscle soreness caused by exercise.
- Heart disease.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Preventing thyroid cancer, endometrial cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, improving memory, reducing breast pain, weight loss, asthma, high blood pressure, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Soy work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.