"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the MemoryShape Breast Implant to increase breast size (augmentation) for use in women at least 22 years old and to rebuild breast tissue (reconstruction) in women of any age. The MemoryShape B"...
Spectracef Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Spectracef
Generic Name: cefditoren (Pronunciation: CEF di tor en)
- What is cefditoren (Spectracef)?
- What are the possible side effects of cefditoren (Spectracef)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cefditoren (Spectracef)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cefditoren (Spectracef)?
- How should I take cefditoren (Spectracef)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Spectracef)?
- What happens if I overdose (Spectracef)?
- What should I avoid while taking cefditoren (Spectracef)?
- What other drugs will affect cefditoren (Spectracef)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cefditoren (Spectracef)?
Cefditoren is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin (SEF a low spor in) antibiotics. It works by fighting bacteria in your body.
Cefditoren is used to treat many different types of bacterial infections that can cause bronchitis, tonsillitis, pneumonia, or skin infection.
Cefditoren may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of cefditoren (Spectracef)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- unusual bleeding;
- seizure (convulsions);
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- increased thirst, loss of appetite, swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath, urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, mild diarrhea;
- constipation, belching, upset stomach;
- dry mouth, appetite changes;
- headache, dizziness, feeling restless or hyperactive;
- stiff or tight muscles;
- muscle pain;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- trouble sleeping (insomnia), strange dreams;
- runny or stuffy nose;
- mild itching or skin rash; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Spectracef (cefditoren pivoxil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cefditoren (Spectracef)?
Do not take cefditoren if you are allergic to milk protein (not lactose intolerance), or if you have a carnitine deficiency (a lack of a certain chemical in the body). Talk with your doctor if you are unsure.
You should not take cefditoren if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a penicillin or cephalosporin antibiotic (such as Ceftin, Cefzil, Keflex, Omnicef, and others).
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs (especially penicillin). Also tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or if you are malnourished.
Take this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated. Cefditoren will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
This medication can cause you to have false results with certain medical tests, including urine glucose (sugar) tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using cefditoren.
Your body will best absorb cefditoren if you take it with food.
Avoid taking cefditoren at the same time that you take any type of antacid or stomach acid reducer.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Do not use any medicine to stop the diarrhea unless your doctor has told you to.
Additional Spectracef Information
- Spectracef Drug Interactions Center: cefditoren pivoxil oral
- Spectracef Side Effects Center
- Spectracef Overview including Precautions
- Spectracef FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Spectracef - User Reviews
Spectracef User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.