"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved pimavanserin tablets (Nuplazid, Acadia Pharmaceuticals) for the treatment of hallucinations and delusions associated with psychosis in Parkinson's disease (PD).
Stalevo Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa (Stalevo)?
- What are the possible side effects of carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa?
- What is the most important information I should know about carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa?
- How should I take carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa?
- What other drugs will affect carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa?
Do not take this medication if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days.
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to carbidopa (Lodosyn), entacapone (Comtan), or levodopa (Larodopa), or if you have:
- narrow-angle glaucoma;
- unusual skin lesions that have not been checked by a doctor; or
- a history of malignant melanoma (skin cancer).
To make sure you can safely take this medication, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- heart disease, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, a heart rhythm disorder, or a prior heart attack;
- asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other breathing disorder;
- kidney disease, liver disease, or bile duct obstruction;
- an endocrine (hormonal) disease;
- a stomach or intestinal ulcer;
- glaucoma; or
- depression or other mental illness.
You may have increased sexual urges, unusual urges to gamble, or other intense urges while taking this medication. Talk with your doctor if you believe you have any intense or unusual urges while taking this medicine.
Carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa may cause hallucinations (the sensation of hearing or seeing something that is not there). Call your doctor if you experience hallucinations.
Some people taking Parkinson's disease medications have developed skin cancer (melanoma). However, people with Parkinson's disease may have a higher risk of melanoma. Talk to your doctor about this risk and what skin symptoms to watch for. You may need to have regular skin exams.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
Carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa may pass into breast milk and could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are taking carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa.
How should I take carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals to keep a steady amount of the drug in your body at all times.
Drink plenty of liquids while you are taking this medication.
It may take up to several weeks before your symptoms improve. Keep using the medication as directed and tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after a few weeks of treatment. Also tell your doctor if the effects of this medication seem to wear off quickly in between doses.
Call your doctor if you have ongoing vomiting or diarrhea, or if you are sweating more than usual. You can easily become dehydrated while taking this medication, which can lead to severely low blood pressure or a serious electrolyte imbalance.
Do not stop using carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely.
This medication can cause unusual results with certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using carbidopa, entacapone, and levodopa.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Stalevo Information
Stalevo - User Reviews
Stalevo User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.