"For men with low testosterone, taking testosterone along with Viagra may not help their erections more than if they only took Viagra, a new study shows.
“There were lots of reasons to think that it would work," Boston University rese"...
Staxyn Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is vardenafil (Staxyn)?
- What are the possible side effects of vardenafil (Staxyn)?
- What is the most important information I should know about vardenafil (Staxyn)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking vardenafil (Staxyn)?
- How should I take vardenafil (Staxyn)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Staxyn)?
- What happens if I overdose (Staxyn)?
- What should I avoid while taking vardenafil (Staxyn)?
- What other drugs will affect vardenafil (Staxyn)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking vardenafil (Staxyn)?
Do not take vardenafil if you are also using a nitrate drug for chest pain or heart problems. This includes nitroglycerin (Nitrostat, Nitrolingual, Nitro-Dur, Nitro-Bid, and others), isosorbide dinitrate (Dilatrate-SR, Isordil, Sorbitrate), and isosorbide mononitrate (Imdur, ISMO, Monoket). Nitrates are also found in some recreational drugs such as amyl nitrate or nitrite ("poppers"). Taking vardenafil with a nitrate medicine can cause a sudden and serious decrease in blood pressure.
To make sure you can safely take vardenafil, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- heart disease, heart rhythm problems;
- a recent history (in the past 6 months) of a heart attack, stroke, or congestive heart failure;
- a personal or family history of "Long QT syndrome";
- high or low blood pressure;
- liver disease, kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
- a blood cell disorder such as sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma, or leukemia;
- a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia;
- a stomach ulcer;
- hearing or vision problems, history of vision loss;
- an eye disorder such as retinitis pigmentosa (an inherited condition of the eye);
- a physical deformity of the penis (such as Peyronie's disease); or
- if you have been told you should not have sexual intercourse for health reasons.
Vardenafil can decrease blood flow to the optic nerve of the eye, causing sudden vision loss. This has occurred in a small number of people taking vardenafil, most of whom also had heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or certain pre-existing eye problems, and in those who smoke or are over 50 years old. It is not clear whether vardenafil is the actual cause of vision loss. Stop using vardenafil and get emergency medical help if you have sudden vision loss.
FDA pregnancy category B: Although vardenafil is not for use in women, this medication is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby.
Although vardenafil is not for use in women, it is not known if vardenafil passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Staxyn may contain phenylalanine. Talk to your doctor before using this form of vardenafil if you have phenylketonuria (PKU).
How should I take vardenafil (Staxyn)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Vardenafil can be taken with or without food.
Vardenafil is usually taken only when needed, about 60 minutes before sexual activity. The medication can help achieve an erection when sexual stimulation occurs. An erection will not occur just by taking a pill. Follow your doctor's instructions.
To take the orally disintegrating tablet (Staxyn):
- Keep the tablet in its blister pack until you are ready to take it. Open the package and peel back the foil from the tablet blister. Do not push a tablet through the foil or you may damage the tablet.
- Using dry hands, remove the tablet and place it in your mouth. It will begin to dissolve right away.
- Do not swallow the tablet whole. Allow it to dissolve in your mouth without chewing.
- Swallow several times as the tablet dissolves. Do not take Staxyn with liquid.
Do not take vardenafil more than once a day. Allow 24 hours to pass between doses.
Contact your doctor or seek emergency medical attention if your erection is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours. A prolonged erection (priapism) can damage the penis.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Staxyn Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Sex & Relationships
Get tips to boost your love life.