"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved an expanded indication for onabotulinum toxin A (Botox, Actavis) for the treatment of adults with upper limb spasticity, according to a company news release.
The expanded i"...
Stimate Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: DDAVP Nasal, DDAVP Rhinal Tube, Stimate
Generic Name: desmopressin (nasal) (Pronunciation: DEZ mo press in)
- What is desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
- What are the possible side effects of desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
- What is the most important information I should know about desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
- How should I use desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Stimate)?
- What happens if I overdose (Stimate)?
- What should I avoid while using desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
- What other drugs will affect desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
Desmopressin is a man-made form of a hormone that occurs naturally in the pituitary gland. This hormone is important for many functions including blood flow, blood pressure, kidney function, and regulating how the body uses water.
Desmopressin nasal is used to treat central cranial diabetes insipidus, and increased thirst and urination caused by head surgery or head trauma.
Desmopressin nasal is also used to treat hemophilia A or von Willebrand's disease Type I.
Desmopressin nasal may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using desmopressin nasal and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- nausea, vomiting, weakness, loss of appetite, headache, feeling restless or irritable, confusion, hallucinations, muscle pain or weakness, and/or seizure;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- chest pain, fast or pounding heart rate;
- vaginal pain;
- nosebleed; or
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
Less serious side effects may include:
- runny or stuffy nose;
- sore throat, cough, or other cold symptoms;
- eye redness or watering;
- eye itching or increased sensitivity to light;
- headache, weakness;
- feeling dizzy or agitated;
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
- hot or cold feeling; or
- warmth, redness, or tingly feeling in your face.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Stimate (desmopressin acetate nasal spray) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about desmopressin nasal (Stimate)?
It is very important to reduce your intake of water and other fluids while you are using desmopressin. Drinking too much water can cause your body to lose sodium, which may lead to a serious, life-threatening electrolyte imbalance.
Fluid restriction is especially important in children and older adults using desmopressin nasal. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink.
You should not use this medication if you have severe kidney disease or if you have ever had hyponatremia (low sodium levels in your body).
Before using desmopressin nasal, tell your doctor if you have heart disease, coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, cystic fibrosis, high or low blood pressure, an electrolyte imbalance, or a psychological disorder that causes extreme or unusual thirst.
Desmopressin nasal may be less effective if you have any swelling or scarring inside your nose, or any nasal or sinus problems (such as deviated septum).
This medication comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
To be sure desmopressin nasal is helping your condition, your blood will need to be tested often. This will help your doctor determine how long to treat you with this medication. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.
Additional Stimate Information
Stimate - User Reviews
Stimate User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.