"March 4, 2013 -- Nearly 30% of children with ADHD continue to struggle with the condition as adults, and some may develop other mental health issues, commit suicide, or end up in jail, a new study shows.
"We suffer from the misconceptio"...
Strattera Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is atomoxetine (Strattera)?
- What are the possible side effects of atomoxetine (Strattera)?
- What is the most important information I should know about atomoxetine (Strattera)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking atomoxetine (Strattera)?
- How should I take atomoxetine (Strattera)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Strattera)?
- What happens if I overdose (Strattera)?
- What should I avoid while taking atomoxetine (Strattera)?
- What other drugs will affect atomoxetine (Strattera)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking atomoxetine (Strattera)?
You should not use atomoxetine if you are allergic to it, or if you have glaucoma or pheochromocytoma (tumor of the adrenal gland).
Do not use atomoxetine if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur, leading to serious side effects.
Some ADHD medicines have caused sudden death in children and adolescents with serious heart problems or congenital heart defects.
To make sure you can safely take atomoxetine, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- a congenital heart defect;
- heart disease, a heart rhythm disorder, or recent heart attack;
- coronary artery disease;
- a history of stroke, blood clots, or heart attack;
- high or low blood pressure;
- liver disease;
- problems with urination;
- a personal or family history of mental illness, psychotic disorder, bipolar illness, depression, or suicide attempt; or
- if anyone in your family has died suddenly from a heart problem.
You may have suicidal thoughts or behavior while taking atomoxetine. Watch for symptoms of depression, unusual behavior, or thoughts of hurting yourself. Your doctor may need to check you at regular visits while you are taking this medication.
In addition to you watching for changes in your mood or behavior, your family or caregivers should be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether atomoxetine is harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether atomoxetine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Atomoxetine is not meant for long-term use. Because ADHD may be a long-term condition, especially in children and young adults, your doctor may recommend another ADHD medication after you stop taking atomoxetine.
Long-term use of atomoxetine can slow a child's growth. Tell your doctor if the child using this medication is not growing or gaining weight properly.
Do not give atomoxetine to a child younger than 6 years old without the advice of a doctor.
How should I take atomoxetine (Strattera)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Take this medicine with a full glass of water.
Atomoxetine is usually taken once daily, but it may be taken in the morning and late afternoon. Follow your doctor's instructions.
It is important to use atomoxetine regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
Do not use a capsule that has been opened or accidentally broken. The medicine from inside the capsule can be dangerous if it gets in your eyes. If you must handle a broken capsule, ask your doctor or pharmacist how to safely handle and dispose of the tablet.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Strattera Information
- Strattera Drug Interactions Center: atomoxetine oral
- Strattera Side Effects Center
- Strattera Overview including Precautions
- Strattera FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Strattera - User Reviews
Strattera User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.