"Nov. 13, 2012 -- Women who get migraines are more likely than those who don't to develop small areas of tissue changes in their brains, a new study shows. At the same time, these changes do not seem to affect the women's thinking or memory."...
Sumavel DosePro Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Statdose, Imitrex Statdose Refill, Sumavel DosePro
Generic Name: sumatriptan (injection) (Pronunciation: soo ma TRIP tan)
- What is sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
- What are the possible side effects of sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
- What is the most important information I should know about sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
- How should I use sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Sumavel DosePro)?
- What happens if I overdose (Sumavel DosePro)?
- What should I avoid while using sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
- What other drugs will affect sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
Sumatriptan is a headache medicine that narrows blood vessels around the brain. Sumatriptan also reduces substances in the body that can trigger headache pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and other migraine symptoms.
Sumatriptan is used to treat migraine headaches and cluster headaches. Sumatriptan will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
Sumatriptan should not be used to treat a common tension headache, a headache that causes loss of movement on one side of your body, or any headache that seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches. Use this medication only if your condition has been confirmed by a doctor as migraine headaches.
Sumatriptan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Imitrex 6 mg Inj
What are the possible side effects of sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using sumatriptan and call your doctor if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling of pain or tightness in your jaw, neck, or throat;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- sudden and severe stomach pain and bloody diarrhea;
- seizure (convulsions);
- numbness or tingling and a pale or blue-colored appearance in your fingers or toes; or
- (if you are also taking an antidepressant) -- agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate, overactive reflexes, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, fainting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild headache (not a migraine);
- pressure or heavy feeling in any part of your body;
- discomfort in your nose or throat;
- dizziness, spinning sensation;
- muscle pain, neck pain or stiffness;
- warmth, redness, or mild tingling under your skin; or
- pain, redness, bleeding, swelling, or bruising where you injected the medicine.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan injection) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about sumatriptan injection (Sumavel DosePro)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to sumatriptan, if you have any history of heart disease, or if you have coronary heart disease, angina, blood circulation problems, lack of blood supply to the heart, uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe liver disease, ischemic bowel disease, a history of a heart attack or stroke, or if your headache seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches.
Do not use sumatriptan within 24 hours before or after using another migraine headache medicine, including sumatriptan tablets or nasal spray, almotriptan (Axert), eletriptan (Relpax), frovatriptan (Frova), rizatriptan (Maxalt), naratriptan (Amerge), zolmitriptan (Zomig), or ergot medicine such as dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal), ergotamine (Ergomar, Cafergot, Migergot), dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal), or methylergonovine (Methergine).
Do not use sumatriptan if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days.
Before using sumatriptan, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, seizures, high blood pressure, a heart rhythm disorder, or coronary heart disease (or risk factors such as diabetes, menopause, smoking, being overweight, having high cholesterol, having a family history of coronary artery disease, being older than 40 and a man, or being a woman who has had a hysterectomy).
Also tell your doctor if you are taking an antidepressant such as citalopram (Celexa), desvenlafaxine (Pristiq), duloxetine (Cymbalta), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), or venlafaxine (Effexor).
Sumatriptan will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
After using a sumatriptan injection, you must wait one (1) hour before using a second injection. Do not use more than two injections in 24 hours.
Additional Sumavel DosePro Information
- Sumavel DosePro Drug Interactions Center: sumatriptan succinate subq
- Sumavel DosePro Side Effects Center
- Sumavel DosePro Overview including Precautions
- Sumavel DosePro FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Sumavel DosePro - User Reviews
Sumavel DosePro User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.