- What other names is Superoxide Dismutase known by?
- What is Superoxide Dismutase?
- How does Superoxide Dismutase work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Superoxide Dismutase.
Superoxide dismutase is taken by mouth for removing wrinkles, rebuilding tissue, and extending the length of life. However, there is no evidence that superoxide dismutase products that are taken by mouth are absorbed by the body.
As a shot, superoxide dismutase is used for treating pain and swelling (inflammation) caused by osteoarthritis, sports injuries, and rheumatoid arthritis; a kidney condition called interstitial cystitis; gout; poisoning caused by a weed-killer called paraquat; cancer; and lung problems in newborns.
Superoxide dismutase is also given as a shot for improving tolerance to radiation therapy, improving rejection rates in kidney transplantation, and minimizing heart damage caused by heart attacks.
A sterile solution containing superoxide dismutase is sometimes applied directly to the eyes for treating ulcers on the cornea.
Possibly Effective for...
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Lung problems in newborn infants.
- A kidney condition (interstitial cystitis).
Likely Ineffective for...
- Reducing heart damage after a heart attack.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Ulcers on the cornea of the eye. A series of case reports suggest that a specific eye solution of superoxide dismutase might help reduce ulcer size and improve healing when applied to the eye for at least 2 weeks.
- Sports injuries.
- Helping people tolerate radiation therapy.
- Preventing rejection of kidney transplants.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options