"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in collaboration with health officials in Missouri and Tennessee have identified six new cases of people sick with Heartland virus: five in Missouri and one in Tennessee. The new cases, dis"...
(cefixime) Oral Administration
Cefixime is a semisynthetic, cephalosporin antibacterial for oral administration. Chemically, it is (6R,7R)-7-[2-(2-Amino-4-thiazolyl)glyoxylamido]-8-oxo-3-vinyl-5-thia-1-azabicyclo [4.2.0] oct-2ene-2-carboxylic acid, 72-(Z)-[O-(carboxy methyl) oxime] trihydrate.
Molecular weight = 507.50 as the trihydrate. Chemical Formula is C16H15N5O7S2.3H2O
The structural formula for cefixime is:
- Inactive ingredients contained in Suprax® (cefixime) 400 mg tablets are: dibasic calcium phosphate, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized starch, titanium dioxide, and triacetin.
- Inactive ingredients contained in Suprax® (cefixime) 400 mg capsules are: colloidal silicon dioxide, crospovidone, low substituted hydroxy propyl cellulose, magnesium stearate, and mannitol. The capsule shell contains the following inactive ingredients: ferric oxide black, ferric oxide red, gelatin, potassium hydroxide, propylene glycol, shellac, sodium lauryl sulfate, and titanium dioxide.
- Inactive ingredients contained in Suprax® (cefixime) 100 mg or 150 mg or 200 mg chewable tablets are: aspartame, colloidal silicon dioxide, crospovidone, FD&C Red # 40 Aluminium Lake, low substituted hydroxypropyl cellulose, magnesium stearate, mannitol, fantasy flavor permaseal, and tutti frutti flavor.
- Inactive ingredients contained in Suprax® (cefixime) powder for oral suspension are: colloidal silicon dioxide, sodium benzoate, strawberry flavor, sucralose (only in 500 mg/5 mL strength), sucrose, and xanthan gum.
What are the possible side effects of cefixime (Suprax)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- fever, sore throat, and joint pain with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- warmth, redness, or tingling under your skin;
- swelling in your hands or feet;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- chest pain, shortness of...
What are the precautions when taking cefixime (Suprax)?
Before taking cefixime, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to penicillins or other cephalosporin antibiotics (e.g., cephalexin); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: kidney disease, a certain intestinal disease (colitis).
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your...
Last reviewed on RxList: 1/25/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Suprax Information
Suprax - User Reviews
Suprax User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.