Swollen Eyes Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Swelling of the eye, also referred to as periorbital puffiness, refers to the presence of excess fluid (edema) in the connective tissues around the eye, most commonly the eyelids. A swollen eye can result from trauma, infections, or other injuries to the eye area. Prolonged crying is a common cause of swollen eyes. Virtually any cause of inflammation to the eye area may manifest as eyelid swelling, although allergic reactions are likely the most common cause. With allergic reactions, the eyes may also be red and itchy as well as swollen. Rarely, systemic conditions (affecting the entire body) may result in fluid retention, including fluid retention in the tissues around the eyes. With Graves' disease of the thyroid gland, proptosis or exophthalmos can occur. This means protrusion or bulging of the eyeball within the eye socket. Puffiness of the eyelids can also occur with this condition.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Kasper, D., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2015.
Causes of Swollen Eyes
In This ArticleBlepharitis Article
- Blepharitis facts
- What is blepharitis?
- What causes blepharitis?
- What are the symptoms and signs of blepharitis?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose blepharitis?
- What are complications of blepharitis?
- What types of doctors treat blepharitis?
- What is the treatment for blepharitis? Are there home remedies for blepharitis?
- What is the prognosis for blepharitis?
- Is it possible to prevent blepharitis?
In This ArticleBug Bites and Stings Article
- Bug bites and stings facts*
- Bug bites and stings introduction
- What can I do to keep insects away?
- What's the proper way to use insect repellent?
- What's the best way to remove a bee stinger?
- What should I do if I find a tick on me or my child?
- What can be done for itching and pain from bites and stings?
- When is medical attention needed?
- Where can I find more information on bug bites and stings?
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleCorneal Ulcer Article
- Corneal ulcer facts
- What is a corneal ulcer?
- What does a corneal ulcer look like?
- What are the causes of a corneal ulcer?
- What are risk factors for corneal ulcers?
- What are corneal ulcer symptoms?
- What are corneal ulcer signs?
- What types of doctors treat corneal ulcers?
- How does a health-care professional diagnose a corneal ulcer?
- What is the treatment for a corneal ulcer?
- What is the healing time for a corneal ulcer?
- What is the prognosis of a corneal ulcer?
- Is it possible to prevent corneal ulcers?
In This ArticleEdema Article
- Edema facts
- What is edema?
- What is pitting edema and how does it differ from non-pitting edema?
- What does pitting edema look like (picture)?
- What causes pitting edema?
- Does salt intake affect edema?
- What causes edema during pregnancy?
- What kind of doctors treat edema?
- Why does a person with heart disease retain fluid?
- Why do people with liver disease develop ascites and edema?
- Why do people with kidney disease have pitting edema?
- What causes pitting edema by heavy loss of protein in the urine?
- What medications treat pitting edema caused by heavy loss of protein in the urine?
- What causes pitting edema in people with impaired kidney (renal) function?
- What is idiopathic edema?
- What is the treatment for idiopathic edema?
- What is the treatment for patients with idiopathic edema who have become dependent on diuretics?
- How does venous insufficiency cause edema?
- Which diuretics are used to treat edema?
- Do people taking diuretics need a diet high in potassium?
- Are diuretics used for other diseases or conditions?
In This ArticleHyperthyroidism Article
- Hyperthyroidism facts
- What is hyperthyroidism?
- What are thyroid hormones?
- Thyroid hormone regulation--the chain of command
- What causes hyperthyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hyperthyroidism?
- How is hyperthyroidism diagnosed?
- How is hyperthyroidism treated?
- What's best for you?
In This ArticleIs a Sty Contagious? Article
- What is a sty?
- Is a sty contagious?
- How will I know if I have a sty?
- How is a sty spread?
- When will I know I am cured of a sty?
- When should I contact a health-care professional about a sty?
In This ArticleIs Pinkeye Contagious? Article
- What is pinkeye?
- Is pinkeye contagious? What is the incubation period for pinkeye?
- How will I know when I have pinkeye?
- How do people transmit pinkeye?
- How long does pinkeye last? What is the contagious period for pinkeye?
- When should I contact a health-care provider about pinkeye?
Other Causes of Swollen Eyes
- Bacterial Infection
- Foreign Body in the Eye
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- Prolonged Crying
- Viral Infection
Examples of Medications for Swollen Eyes
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Get breaking medical news.