Swollen Lip Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Swelling of the lips can arise due to different conditions. Trauma to the lip and mouth area is an obvious cause of swollen lips. Allergic reactions, either to foods or other substances, can often be accompanied by swelling of the lips. Angioedema is a condition in which there is swelling of the tissue beneath the skin, and this is often concentrated around the eyes and lips. Some infections (such as herpes simplex virus infection) can result in blisters (sometimes referred to as cold sores) and localized swelling of the lips. Infections and inflammatory conditions of the skin can also lead to inflammation and swollen lips (cheilitis). Less commonly, medical conditions or illnesses that affect the entire body may cause lip swelling, sometimes in association with fluid retention or swelling in other areas of the body.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, D.L., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Causes of Swollen Lip
In This ArticleBug Bites and Stings Article
- Bug bites and stings facts*
- Bug bites and stings introduction
- What can I do to keep insects away?
- What's the proper way to use insect repellent?
- What's the best way to remove a bee stinger?
- What should I do if I find a tick on me or my child?
- What can be done for itching and pain from bites and stings?
- When is medical attention needed?
- Where can I find more information on bug bites and stings?
In This ArticleEczema Article
- Eczema facts
- What is eczema?
- Are there different types of eczema? What causes eczema?
- What are eczema symptoms and signs?
- How is eczema diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eczema?
- What are home remedies for eczema?
- Does diet affect eczema?
- Is there a cure for eczema?
- Is eczema contagious?
- What is the prognosis of eczema?
- Is it possible to prevent eczema?
In This ArticleFood Allergy Article
- Food allergy facts
- What is a food allergy?
- What causes allergic reactions to food?
- What are food allergy symptoms and signs?
- What are food allergy risk factors?
- Do infants and children have problems with food allergy?
- What are the most common food allergies?
- What is cross-reactivity?
- What is oral allergy syndrome?
- What is exercise-induced food allergy?
- What conditions have mistakenly been attributed to food allergy?
- What conditions mimic food allergy?
- How is food allergy diagnosed? What tests are used to diagnose food allergies?
- What is the treatment for a food allergy?
- Are allergy shots effective in preventing or decreasing food allergy?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for food allergy?
In This ArticleMyxedema Coma Article
- What is myxedema coma?
- Who is affected by myxedema coma?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- What causes myxedema coma?
- What are triggers of myxedema coma?
- What are the symptoms of myxedema coma?
- How is myxedema coma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for myxedema coma?
- How can myxedema coma be prevented?
In This ArticleSunburn (Sun Poisoning) Article
- Sunburn and sun poisoning facts
- What is sunburn?
- Can sunburn cause permanent damage?
- What is UV light and where are UV rays most intense?
- What are the symptoms of sunburn?
- What are the symptoms of severe sunburn (sun poisoning)?
- Sunburn pictures
- What first-aid measures should be taken with sunburn?
- What is the treatment for sunburn?
- Are there any home remedies to treat sunburn?
- Is a follow-up visit with a physician necessary?
- Who is most susceptible to sunburn?
- Can diseases cause a heightened sensitivity to UV rays?
- What kinds of skin cancer can UV rays cause?
- How can sunburn and skin cancer be prevented?
- How do sunscreens work?
- What is SPF?
- What is the best way to apply sunscreen?
- Do sunscreens expire?
- Can antioxidants protect against sunburn?
Other Causes of Swollen Lip
- Bacterial Infections
- Cosmetic Surgery (Lip Injections or Implants)
- Erythema Multiforme
- Hunter Syndrome (Mucopolysaccharidosis Type II)
- Medication Side Effects
- Vitamin B2 Deficiency
Examples of Medications for Swollen Lip
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.