"This influenza season was particularly hard on younger- and middle-age adults, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported in today's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. People age 18-64 represented 61 percent of all hospitaliza"...
Symmetrel Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What are the possible side effects of amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What is the most important information I should know about amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- How should I take amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Symmetrel)?
- What happens if I overdose (Symmetrel)?
- What should I avoid while taking amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What other drugs will affect amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Symmetrel)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at your next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Symmetrel)?
Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. An overdose of amantadine can be fatal.
Overdose symptoms may include fever, anxiety, severe headache, confusion, hallucinations, agitation, aggression, personality changes, tremor, problems with balance or walking, fast or uneven heart rate, urinating less than usual or not at all, trouble breathing, seizure (convulsion), or fainting.
What should I avoid while taking amantadine (Symmetrel)?
Do not use FluMist nasal influenza "live vaccine" while you are being treated with amantadine and for at least 48 hours after you stop taking amantadine. The nasal vaccine may not be as effective if you receive it while you are taking amantadine. Before taking amantadine, tell your doctor if you have received a nasal flu vaccine within the past 14 days.
Amantadine can cause side effects that may impair your vision, thinking, or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of amantadine.
Avoid taking diet pills, caffeine pills, or other stimulants (such as ADHD medications) without your doctor's advice. Taking a stimulant together with amantadine can increase your risk of unpleasant side effects.
What other drugs will affect amantadine (Symmetrel)?
Before taking amantadine, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:
- atropine (Atreza, Sal-Tropine, and others);
- dicyclomine (Bentyl);
- glycopyrrolate (Robinul);
- hyoscyamine (Anaspaz, Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, and others);
- mepenzolate (Cantil);
- methscopolamine (Pamine);
- propantheline (Pro-Banthine);
- scopolamine (Maldemar, Scopace, Transderm-Scop).
- quinine (Qualaquin);
- quinidine (Cardioquin, Quinaglute);
- a diuretic (water pill) such as triamterene (Dyrenium), hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ, Dyazide, HydroDiuril, Hyzaar, Lopressor, Vasoretic, Zestoretic), and others; or
- phenothiazines such as prochlorperazine (Compazine), thioridazine (Mellaril), and others.
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with amantadine. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about amantadine.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 6.02. Revision date: 12/15/2010.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Symmetrel Information
- Symmetrel Drug Interactions Center: amantadine hcl oral
- Symmetrel Side Effects Center
- Symmetrel Overview including Precautions
- Symmetrel FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Symmetrel - User Reviews
Symmetrel User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.