"Jan. 10, 2013 -- The early flu season has turned severe in some parts of the country, stretching health care providers and drug supplies.
According to the latest numbers from the CDC, there's now widespread flu activity in 41 states. New Yo"...
Symmetrel Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Symmetrel
Generic Name: amantadine (Pronunciation: a MAN ta deen)
- What is amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What are the possible side effects of amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What is the most important information I should know about amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- How should I take amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Symmetrel)?
- What happens if I overdose (Symmetrel)?
- What should I avoid while taking amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- What other drugs will affect amantadine (Symmetrel)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is amantadine (Symmetrel)?
Amantadine is an antiviral medication. It blocks the actions of viruses in your body.
Amantadine is used to treat and to prevent influenza A (a viral infection). There may be some flu seasons during which amantadine is not recommended because certain flu strains may be resistant to this drug.
Amantadine is also used to treat Parkinson's disease and "Parkinson-like" symptoms such as stiffness and shaking that may be caused by the use of certain drugs.
Amantadine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Amantadine 100 mg-APH
capsule, red, imprinted with INV 211
Amantadine 100 mg-GG
capsule, red, imprinted with GG 634
Amantadine 100 mg-UDL
capsule, yellow, imprinted with C-122
Amantadine 100 mg-UPS
capsule, yellow, imprinted with C-122
What are the possible side effects of amantadine (Symmetrel)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- feeling depressed, agitated, or aggressive;
- behavior changes, hallucinations, thoughts of hurting yourself;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- high fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, rapid breathing, feeling like you might pass out;
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck; or
- tremor (uncontrolled shaking).
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, headache;
- sleep problems (insomnia), strange dreams;
- feeling nervous;
- nausea, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite;
- dry mouth, dry nose; or
- loss of balance or coordination.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Symmetrel (amantadine hydrochloride) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about amantadine (Symmetrel)?
Do not use FluMist nasal influenza "live vaccine" while you are being treated with amantadine and for at least 48 hours after you stop taking amantadine. The nasal vaccine may not be as effective if you receive it while you are taking amantadine. Before taking amantadine, tell your doctor if you have received a nasal flu vaccine within the past 14 days.
Before taking amantadine, tell your doctor if you have epilepsy or other seizure disorder, congestive heart failure, kidney or liver disease, low blood pressure, eczema, glaucoma, or a history of mental illness, suicide attempt, or drug/alcohol addiction.
Amantadine can cause side effects that may impair your thinking, vision, or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
If you are taking amantadine to treat influenza A, take the medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated.
If you are taking amantadine to treat Parkinson symptoms, do not stop taking the medication without first talking to your doctor. If you stop taking amantadine suddenly, your condition may become worse.
You may have increased sexual urges, unusual urges to gamble, or other intense urges while taking this medication. Talk with your doctor if you believe you have any intense or unusual urges while taking amantadine.
Additional Symmetrel Information
- Symmetrel Drug Interactions Center: amantadine hcl oral
- Symmetrel Side Effects Center
- Symmetrel Overview including Precautions
- Symmetrel FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Symmetrel - User Reviews
Symmetrel User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.