- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
- Do not concomitantly use disinfectants containing quaternary ammonium salts for skin preparation because hyaluronan can precipitate in their presence.
- Do not inject SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) extra-articularly or into the synovial tissues and capsule. Local and systemic adverse events, generally in the area of the injection, have occurred following extra-articular injection of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) .
- Intravascular injections of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) may cause systemic adverse events.
- The effectiveness of a single treatment cycle of less than three injections (2 mL each) of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) has not been established.
- The safety and effectiveness of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) in locations other than the knee and for conditions other than osteoarthritis have not been established.
- The safety and effectiveness of the use of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) concomitantly with other intra-articular injectables have not been established.
- Use caution when injecting SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) into patients who are allergic to avian proteins, feathers, and egg products.
- The safety and effectiveness of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) in severely inflamed knee joints have not been established.
- Strict aseptic administration technique must be followed.
- STERILE CONTENTS. The syringe is intended for single use. The contents of the syringe must be used immediately after its packaging is opened. Discard any unused SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) .
- Do not use SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) if package is opened or damaged. Store in original packaging (protected from light) at room temperature below 86°F (30°C). DO NOT FREEZE.
- Remove synovial fluid or effusion before each SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) injection.
- SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) should be used with caution when there is evidence of lymphatic or venous stasis in the leg to be injected.
Information for Patients
- Provide patients with a copy of the Patient Labeling prior to use.
- Transient pain, swelling and/or effusion of the injected joint may occur after intra-articular injection of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) . In some cases the effusion may be considerable and can cause pronounced pain; cases where swelling is extensive should be discussed with the physician.
- As with any invasive joint procedure, it is recommended that the patient avoid any strenuous activities (for example, highimpact sports such as soccer, tennis or jogging) or prolonged weight-bearing activities for approximately 48 hours following the intra-articular injection. The patient should consult his or her physician regarding the appropriate time to resume such activities.
Use in Specific Populations
- Pregnancy: The safety and effectiveness of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) have not been established in pregnant women.
- Nursing mothers:It is not known if SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) is excreted in human milk. The safety and effectiveness of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) have not been established in lactating women.
- Pediatrics: The safety and effectiveness of SYNVISC (hylan g-f 20) have not been established in pediatric patients. Pediatric patients are defined as patients” 21 years of age.
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/22/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Synvisc Information
Synvisc - User Reviews
Synvisc User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options