(calcipotriene 0.005% and betamethasone dipropionate 0.064%) OINTMENT
FOR TOPICAL USE ONLY.
Not for Ophthalmic, Oral or Intravaginal Use.
Taclonex® (calcipotriene and betamethasone dipropionate) Ointment contains calcipotriene hydrate and betamethasone dipropionate.
It is intended for topical use.
Calcipotriene hydrate is a synthetic vitamin D3 analogue.
- Chemically, calcipotriene hydrate is (5Z,7E,22E,24S)-24-cyclopropyl-9,10-secochola-5,7,10(19),22-tetraene-1(α),3(β),24-triol,hydrate, with the empirical formula
- C27H40O3,H2O, a molecular weight of 430.6, and the following structural formula:
Calcipotriene hydrate is a white to almost white crystalline compound.
Betamethasone dipropionate is a synthetic corticosteroid.
Betamethasone dipropionate has the chemical name 9-fluoro-11(β),17,21-trihydroxy-16(β)-methylpregna-1,4-diene-3,20-dione17,21-dipropionate, with the empirical formula C28H37FO7, a molecular weight of 504.6, and the following structural formula:
Betamethasone dipropionate is a white to almost white odorless powder.
Each gram of Taclonex® (calcipotriene and betamethasone dipropionate) Ointment contains 52.18 mcg of calcipotriene hydrate (equivalent to 50 mcg of calcipotriene) and 0.643 mg of betamethasone dipropionate (equivalent to 0.5 mg of betamethasone) in an ointment base of mineral oil, PPG-15 stearyl ether, dl-alpha tocopherol and white petrolatum.
What are the possible side effects of betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex, Taclonex Scalp)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using betamethasone and calcipotriene and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe skin irritation on treated areas;
- worsened symptoms or no improvement in psoriasis;
- pus, swelling, redness, increased itching, or other signs of skin infection;
- confusion, thirst, extreme tiredness, lost appetite, weight...
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/17/2007
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Taclonex Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.