Taclonex Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Taclonex, Taclonex Scalp
Generic Name: betamethasone and calcipotriene (topical) (Pronunciation: BAY ta METH a sone and KAL si poe TRYE een)
- What is betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
- What are the possible side effects of betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
- What is the most important information I should know about betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
- How should I use betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Taclonex)?
- What happens if I overdose (Taclonex)?
- What should I avoid while using betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
- What other drugs will affect betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
Betamethasone is a topical corticosteroid. It reduces swelling, relieves itching, and constricts blood vessels.
Calcipotriene is a form of vitamin D. It works by decreasing the rate of skin cell reproduction.
Betamethasone and calcipotriene is a combination drug used to treat psoriasis vulgaris.
Betamethasone and calcipotriene may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using betamethasone and calcipotriene and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- severe skin irritation on treated areas;
- worsened symptoms or no improvement in psoriasis;
- pus, swelling, redness, increased itching, or other signs of skin infection;
- confusion, thirst, extreme tiredness, lost appetite, weight loss;
- adrenal insufficiency--nausea, vomiting, lost appetite, tiredness, trouble breathing, joint/muscle pain, feeling light-headed, fainting;
- Cushing syndrome--weight gain (especially in your face), thinning muscles in your arms or legs, easy bruising, thinning skin, acne, increased facial hair, darkened skin; or
- high blood sugar (hyperglycemia)--increased urination and thirst, nausea, vomiting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- burning or mild itching;
- red or scaly rash;
- swollen hair follicles; or
- changes in the color of treated skin areas.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Taclonex (calcipotriene and betamethasone dipropionate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about betamethasone and calcipotriene (Taclonex)?
Use this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not use it in larger doses or for longer than recommended by your doctor.
Before using betamethasone and calcipotriene, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
If you miss a dose, use the medication as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and wait until your next regularly scheduled dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
There may be other drugs that can affect betamethasone and calcipotriene. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
Stop using this medication and get emergency medical help if you think you have used too much medicine, or if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Less serious side effects are more likely, and you may have none at all. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or is especially bothersome.
Additional Taclonex Information
Taclonex - User Reviews
Taclonex User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.