"Young children have died or become seriously ill from accidental exposure to a skin patch containing fentanyl, a powerful pain reliever. As a result of this, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing a Drug Safety Communication to warn pa"...
Talwin Nx Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
- What are the possible side effects of naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
- What is the most important information I should know about naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
- How should I take naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Talwin Nx)?
- What happens if I overdose (Talwin Nx)?
- What should I avoid while taking naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
- What other drugs will affect naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to naloxone (Narcan, Suboxone) or pentazocine (Talacen).
To make sure you can safely take naloxone and pentazocine, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- asthma, COPD, sleep apnea, or other breathing disorders;
- liver or kidney disease;
- heart disease or history of heart attack;
- underactive thyroid;
- a blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines);
- a history of head injury or brain tumor;
- epilepsy or other seizure disorder;
- Addison's disease or other adrenal gland disorder;
- low blood pressure;
- gallbladder or pancreas problems:
- porphyria (a genetic enzyme disorder that causes symptoms affecting the skin or nervous system);
- enlarged prostate, urination problems;
- mental illness;
- a history of drug or alcohol addiction; or
- if you have recently received other narcotic pain medicine or methadone.
Naloxone and pentazocine may be habit forming and should be used only by the person for whom it was prescribed. Never share naloxone and pentazocine with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether naloxone and pentazocine will harm an unborn baby. Naloxone and pentazocine may cause addiction or withdrawal symptoms in a newborn if the mother takes the medication during pregnancy. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using naloxone and pentazocine.
Naloxone and pentazocine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Naloxone and pentazocine should not be given to a child younger than 12 years old.
How should I take naloxone and pentazocine (Talwin Nx)?
Take exactly as prescribed. Never take naloxone and pentazocine in larger amounts, or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
Naloxone and pentazocine is usually taken as 1 or 2 tablets every 3 to 4 hours. Follow your doctor's instructions. Do not take more than 12 tablets in a 24-hour period.
Never crush a naloxone and pentazocine tablet to mix into a liquid for injecting the drug into your vein. This practice has resulted in death with the misuse of pentazocine and similar prescription drugs.
Do not stop using naloxone and pentazocine suddenly after long-term use, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Keep track of the amount of medicine used from each new bottle. Naloxone and pentazocine is a drug of abuse and you should be aware if anyone is using your medicine improperly or without a prescription.
Additional Talwin Nx Information
Talwin Nx - User Reviews
Talwin Nx User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.