"Two researchers at the National Institutes of Health discovered a new genetic link between the rapid growth of healthy fetuses and the uncontrolled cell division in cancer. The findings shed light on normal development and on the genetic under"...
Targretin Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is bexarotene (Targretin)?
- What are the possible side effects of bexarotene (Targretin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about bexarotene (Targretin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using bexarotene (Targretin)?
- How should I use bexarotene (Targretin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Targretin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Targretin)?
- What should I avoid while using bexarotene (Targretin)?
- What other drugs will affect bexarotene (Targretin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using bexarotene (Targretin)?
Do not take bexarotene without first talking to your doctor if you
- are allergic to other retinoids such as isotretinoin (Accutane), acitretin (Soriatane), etretinate (Tegison), or tretinoin (Vesinoid);
- have or ever have had pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas);
- have high triglyceride levels in your blood;
- have diabetes mellitus;
- have or ever have had gall bladder disease;
- have or ever have had liver disease;
- regularly drink alcohol;
- are taking gemfibrozil (Lopid);
- are taking any prescription medication especially for fungal infections, bacterial infections, diabetes, or seizures; or,
- eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice.
You may not be able to take bexarotene, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions, or are taking any of the medications listed above.
It is not known whether bexarotene passes into breast milk. Do not take bexarotene without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use bexarotene (Targretin)?
Take bexarotene exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Your doctor will tell you how many bexarotene capsules to take each day. Take your daily dose of bexarotene all at once. Take bexarotene once a day with or immediately following a meal.
Swallow each capsule whole. Do not chew them, dissolve them in liquid, or allow them to dissolve in your mouth.
Do not take any bexarotene capsules after the expiration date printed on the label.
If any bexarotene capsules are broken or leaking, do not touch the capsules or the contents and notify your pharmacist immediately. If the contents of a broken capsule get on your skin, immediately wash the area with soap and water and notify your physician.
Your doctor will want to monitor the levels of lipids (triglycerides and cholesterol) and thyroid hormones in your blood periodically during treatment with bexarotene. Treatment may be necessary if your cholesterol or triglyceride levels become elevated, or if your thyroid hormone levels are low.
It may take many weeks of treatment to see the effects of this drug. Do not stop taking bexarotene if you do not see results immediately. Some patients treated with bexarotene see improvement within the first several weeks of treatment, however most patients require several months or more of treatment to improve.
Store bexarotene at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep this product out of the reach of children.
Additional Targretin Information
- Targretin Drug Interactions Center: bexarotene oral
- Targretin Side Effects Center
- Targretin Overview including Precautions
- Targretin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Targretin - User Reviews
Targretin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.