"Spring break is on the way, or maybe summer vacation. Time to pack your swim suit, hit the beach, and perhaps indulge in a little harmless fun. What about getting a temporary tattoo to mark the occasion? Who could it hurt to get a temporary tatto"...
- Clinician Information:
Targretin Gel Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Targretin Topical
Generic Name: bexarotene topical (Pronunciation: beks AIR oh teen)
- What is bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
- What are the possible side effects of bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
- What is the most important information I should know about bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
- Who should not use bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
- How should I use bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Targretin Gel)?
- What happens if I overdose (Targretin Gel)?
- What should I avoid while using bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
- What other drugs will affect bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
The exact way bexarotene works is unknown, but it is believed to inhibit the growth of tumor cells.
Bexarotene topical is used to treat skin lesions of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL) (Stage 1A and 1B) in patients who have not responded to or not tolerated other therapies.
Bexarotene topical may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
Serious side effects are not likely to occur. Stop using bexarotene topical and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (shortness of breath; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, face, or tongue; or hives).
You may experience some redness, itching, warmth, swelling, burning, scaling, or other irritation while you are using bexarotene topical. If these side effects are excessive, talk to your doctor. Your doctor may prescribe less frequent applications of bexarotene topical.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Targretin Gel (bexarotene gel) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about bexarotene topical (Targretin Gel)?
Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight or artificial ultraviolet light (e.g. sunlamps). Bexarotene topical may increase the sensitivity of your skin to sunlight. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing when exposure to the sun is unavoidable.
Additional Targretin Gel Information
- Targretin Gel Drug Interactions Center: bexarotene top
- Targretin Gel Side Effects Center
- Targretin Gel FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.