"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today expanded the approved use of Imbruvica (ibrutinib) for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) patients who have received at least one previous therapy.
CLL is a rare blood and bone marrow disease"...
Tasigna Capsules Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tasigna
Generic Name: nilotinib (Pronunciation: nye LOE ti nib)
- What is nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
- What are the possible side effects of nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
- What is the most important information I should know about nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
- How should I take nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tasigna Capsules)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tasigna Capsules)?
- What should I avoid while taking nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
- What other drugs will affect nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
Nilotinib interferes with the growth of some cancer cells.
Nilotinib is used to treat a type of blood cancer called Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (CML).
Nilotinib may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using nilotinib and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- headache with chest pain and severe dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
- pale skin, weakness, easy bruising or bleeding;
- blood in your urine or stools;
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back;
- nausea, loss of appetite, dark urine, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- lower back pain, numbness or tingly feeling around your mouth;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- muscle weakness, tightness, or contraction;
- fast or slow heart rate, weak pulse, feeling short of breath; or
- sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, feeling like you might pass out.
Other common side effects may include:
- diarrhea, constipation;
- mild skin rash, temporary hair loss;
- headache, back pain, joint or muscle pain;
- tired feeling; or
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, cough, sore throat.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tasigna Capsules (nilotinib capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about nilotinib (Tasigna Capsules)?
You should not use nilotinib if you are allergic to it, or if you have low blood levels of potassium or magnesium, or a history of Long QT syndrome.
Before using nilotinib, tell your doctor if you have heart disease or a heart rhythm disorder, liver disease, a personal history of pancreatitis, a family history of Long QT syndrome, or if your stomach has been surgically removed (total gastrectomy).
There may be other drugs that could interact with nilotinib, or some that should not be used at the same time. Tell your doctor about all other medications you use.
Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding a baby.
While using nilotinib, you may need frequent blood tests at your doctor's office.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as feeling light-headed with a fast or pounding heartbeat, pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, fever, flu symptoms, cough with stabbing chest pain, mouth sores, feeling light-headed or short of breath, swelling, sudden headache or vision problems, upper stomach pain, dark urine, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Additional Tasigna Capsules Information
- Tasigna Capsules Drug Interactions Center: nilotinib oral
- Tasigna Capsules Side Effects Center
- Tasigna Capsules Overview including Precautions
- Tasigna Capsules FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Tasigna Capsules - User Reviews
Tasigna Capsules User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.