"Nov. 6, 2012 -- Exercise helps put people with Parkinson's disease on a path to better health, a new study shows.
All Parkinson's patients reach a point in their disease where they begin to have trouble walking. Typically, a person st"...
Tasmar Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tasmar
Generic Name: tolcapone (Pronunciation: TOLE ka pone)
- What is tolcapone (Tasmar)?
- What are the possible side effects of tolcapone (Tasmar)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tolcapone (Tasmar)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking tolcapone (Tasmar)?
- How should I take tolcapone (Tasmar)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tasmar)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tasmar)?
- What should I avoid while taking tolcapone (Tasmar)?
- What other drugs will affect tolcapone (Tasmar)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is tolcapone (Tasmar)?
When used with carbidopa and levodopa (Atamet, Parcopa, Sinemet), tolcapone increases levels of levodopa in the body.
Tolcapone is used together with carbidopa and levodopa to treat symptoms of Parkinson's disease, such as stiffness, tremors, muscle spasms, and poor muscle control.
This medication is usually reserved for use only in people who have used carbidopa and levodopa without success in treating their Parkinson's disease.
Tolcapone is usually given to people who are already taking carbidopa and levodopa but have not had successful treatment of symptoms.
Tolcapone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of tolcapone (Tasmar)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- feeling like you might pass out;
- fever, stiff muscles, confusion, and sweating (especially when you first start taking tolcapone);
- tremors (uncontrolled shaking);
- tight feeling in your chest, trouble breathing;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- severe or ongoing diarrhea; or
- muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness with fever or flu symptoms and dark colored urine.
Less serious side effects may include:
- diarrhea or constipation;
- dry mouth;
- headache, tired feeling;
- unusual skin changes;
- dizziness, drowsiness;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
- sleep problems (insomnia), dreaming more than usual; or
- agitation or anxiety.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tasmar (tolcapone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about tolcapone (Tasmar)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to tolcapone, if you have liver disease, or if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days.
Serious or fatal side effects on the liver have occurred in some people taking this medication. You may be required to read and sign a Patient Consent form before you get a prescription for tolcapone.
Call your doctor at once if you have nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of tolcapone.
Cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression or anxiety can add to sleepiness caused by tolcapone. Tell your doctor if you regularly use any of these other medicines.
Do not stop using tolcapone suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using tolcapone.
You may have increased sexual urges, unusual urges to gamble, or other intense urges while taking this medication. Talk with your doctor if you believe you have any intense or unusual urges while taking tolcapone.
Additional Tasmar Information
- Tasmar Drug Interactions Center: tolcapone oral
- Tasmar Side Effects Center
- Tasmar Overview including Precautions
- Tasmar FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Tasmar - User Reviews
Tasmar User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.