"Nov. 1, 2012 -- Having even mildly elevated blood pressure at midlife prematurely ages the brain, a new study shows.
Researchers say the early changes seen with higher blood pressure may set the stage for problems with thinking, memor"...
Tekamlo Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tekamlo
Generic Name: aliskiren and amlodipine (Pronunciation: AL is KYE ren and am LOE de peen)
- What is this drug (Tekamlo)?
- What are the possible side effects of this drug (Tekamlo)?
- What is the most important information I should know about this drug (Tekamlo)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking this drug (Tekamlo)?
- How should I take this drug (Tekamlo)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tekamlo)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tekamlo)?
- What should I avoid while taking this drug (Tekamlo)?
- What other drugs will affect this drug (Tekamlo)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is this drug (Tekamlo)?
Aliskiren is an anti-hypertensive (blood pressure lowering) medication. It works by decreasing substances in the body that narrow blood vessels and raise blood pressure.
Amlodipine is in a group of drugs called calcium channel blockers. Amlodipine relaxes (widens) blood vessels and improves blood flow.
The combination of aliskiren and amlodipine is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
Aliskiren and amlodipine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of this drug (Tekamlo)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet;
- feeling like you might pass out; or
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- stomach pain, upset stomach; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tekamlo (aliskiren and amlodipine tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about this drug (Tekamlo)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to aliskiren or amlodipine, or if you are also using cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune) or itraconazole (Sporanox).
Before you take aliskiren and amlodipine, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, an electrolyte imbalance (such as low potassium or magnesium), if you are on a low-salt diet, or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a blood pressure medication.
Keep using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Additional Tekamlo Information
Tekamlo - User Reviews
Tekamlo User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on handling your hypertension.