"Nov. 1, 2012 -- Having even mildly elevated blood pressure at midlife prematurely ages the brain, a new study shows.
Researchers say the early changes seen with higher blood pressure may set the stage for problems with thinking, memor"...
Tekturna Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What are the possible side effects of aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What is the most important information I should know about aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- How should I take aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tekturna)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tekturna)?
- What should I avoid while taking aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What other drugs will affect aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking aliskiren (Tekturna)?
You should not take aliskiren if you are allergic to it.
To make sure you can safely take aliskiren, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
- heart disease;
- if you are on a low-salt diet; or
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to an ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitor medication such as benazepril (Lotensin), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), quinapril (Accupril), ramipril (Altace), and others.
FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use this medication if you are pregnant. Aliskiren can cause injury or death to the unborn baby if you take the medicine during your second or third trimester. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
It is not known whether aliskiren passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take aliskiren (Tekturna)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results.
Take aliskiren with a full glass of water.
You may take aliskiren with or without food, but take it the same way every time.
If you take aliskiren with meals, avoid high-fat foods. They can make it harder for your body to absorb aliskiren.
Conditions that may cause very low blood pressure include: vomiting, diarrhea, heavy sweating, heart disease, dialysis, a low-salt diet, or taking diuretics (water pills). Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink while taking aliskiren. Tell your doctor if you have a prolonged illness that causes diarrhea or vomiting.
If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel fine. High blood pressure often has no symptoms.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Tekturna Information
Tekturna - User Reviews
Tekturna User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.