"Nov. 1, 2012 -- Having even mildly elevated blood pressure at midlife prematurely ages the brain, a new study shows.
Researchers say the early changes seen with higher blood pressure may set the stage for problems with thinking, memor"...
Tekturna Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tekturna
Generic Name: aliskiren (Pronunciation: a LIS ke rin)
- What is aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What are the possible side effects of aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What is the most important information I should know about aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- How should I take aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tekturna)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tekturna)?
- What should I avoid while taking aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- What other drugs will affect aliskiren (Tekturna)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is aliskiren (Tekturna)?
Aliskiren is an anti-hypertensive (blood pressure lowering) medication. It works by decreasing substances in the body that narrow blood vessels and raise blood pressure.
Aliskiren is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
Aliskiren may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Tekturna 150 mg
round, pink, imprinted with NVR, IL
Tekturna 300 mg
oval, red, imprinted with NVR, IU
What are the possible side effects of aliskiren (Tekturna)?
Stop taking aliskiren and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; severe stomach pain; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
If you have an allergic reaction to aliskiren you should not take it again.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- nausea with slow uneven heart rate and a weak pulse; or
- swelling around your eyes.
Less serious side effects may include:
- stomach pain or upset, diarrhea, heartburn;
- itching or skin rash;
- headache, dizziness, tired feeling;
- back pain, joint pain or swelling; or
- stuffy nose, sore throat, cough.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tekturna (aliskiren tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about aliskiren (Tekturna)?
Before you take aliskiren, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, heart disease, if you are on a low-salt diet, or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a heart or blood pressure medication.
If you take aliskiren with meals, avoid high-fat foods. They can make it harder for your body to absorb aliskiren.
Conditions that may cause very low blood pressure include: vomiting, diarrhea, heavy sweating, heart disease, dialysis, a low-salt diet, or taking diuretics (water pills). Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink while taking aliskiren. Tell your doctor if you have a prolonged illness that causes diarrhea or vomiting.
Additional Tekturna Information
- Tekturna Drug Interactions Center: aliskiren oral
- Tekturna Side Effects Center
- Tekturna Overview including Precautions
- Tekturna FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Tekturna - User Reviews
Tekturna User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.