"Nov. 1, 2012 -- Having even mildly elevated blood pressure at midlife prematurely ages the brain, a new study shows.
Researchers say the early changes seen with higher blood pressure may set the stage for problems with thinking, memor"...
Tekturna HCT Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- How should I take hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tekturna HCT)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tekturna HCT)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What other drugs will affect hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
You should not use this medication if:
- you are allergic to aliskiren (Tekturna) or hydrochlorothiazide (Carozide, Diaqua, Ezide HCTZ, HydroDiuril, Microzide, and others);
- you are unable to urinate; or
- you are also using itraconazole (Sporanox) or cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune).
To make sure you can safely take hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- low or high levels of potassium in your blood;
- kidney disease;
- liver disease;
- systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE);
- diabetes; or
- an allergy to sulfa drugs or penicillin.
FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren if you are pregnant. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren can cause injury or death to the unborn baby if you take the medicine during your second or third trimester. Use effective birth control while taking hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren.
It is not known whether hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren.
Do not give this medication to anyone under 18 years old without medical advice.
How should I take hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results.
You may take this medication with or without food, but take it the same way every time.
Conditions that may cause very low blood pressure include: vomiting, diarrhea, heavy sweating, heart disease, dialysis, a low salt diet, or taking diuretics (water pills). Tell your doctor if you have a prolonged illness that causes diarrhea or vomiting.
Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Visit your doctor regularly.
It may take up to 4 weeks for this medication to control your blood pressure. Keep using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
High blood pressure is sometimes treated with a combination of drugs. Use all medications as directed by your doctor. Read the medication guide or patient instructions provided with each medication. Do not change your doses or medication schedule without your doctor's advice.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
Hydrochlorothiazide can interfere with the results of a thyroid test. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using this medication.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Tekturna HCT Information
Tekturna HCT - User Reviews
Tekturna HCT User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.