"Dec. 18, 2012 -- People who can't get their high blood pressure down with drugs may be helped by a new procedure that deactivates overactive nerves in the kidneys, a small study shows.
The procedure is already available in Europe and "...
Tekturna HCT Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tekturna HCT
Generic Name: hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Pronunciation: HYE droe KLOR oh THYE a zide and a LIS ke rin)
- What is hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- How should I take hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tekturna HCT)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tekturna HCT)?
- What should I avoid while taking hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- What other drugs will affect hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic (water pill) that helps prevent your body from absorbing too much salt, which can cause fluid retention.
Aliskiren is an anti-hypertensive (blood pressure lowering) medication. It works by decreasing substances in the body that narrow blood vessels and raise blood pressure.
The combination of hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
Hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- eye pain, vision problems;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- high potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling);
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling);
- urinating less than usual, or not at all;
- joint pain or swelling with fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, unusual thoughts or behavior, and/or seizure (convulsions); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, spinning sensation;
- diarrhea, stomach pain, indigestion;
- tired feeling;
- flu symptoms; or
- dry cough.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tekturna HCT (aliskren and hydrochlorothiazide tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren (Tekturna HCT)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to aliskiren or hydrochlorothiazide, if you are unable to urinate, or if you are also using itraconazole (Sporanox) or cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune).
FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren if you are pregnant. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
Before you take hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren, tell your doctor if you have asthma, low or high levels of potassium in your blood, kidney or liver disease, glaucoma, gout, lupus, diabetes, or an allergy to sulfa drugs or penicillin.
Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes while you are taking hydrochlorothiazide and aliskiren, unless your doctor has told you to.
It may take up to 4 weeks for this medication to control your blood pressure. Keep using this medicine as directed, even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Additional Tekturna HCT Information
Tekturna HCT - User Reviews
Tekturna HCT User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get tips on handling your hypertension.