Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ Disorder)
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dr. Shiel received a Bachelor of Science degree with honors from the University of Notre Dame. There he was involved in research in radiation biology and received the Huisking Scholarship. After graduating from St. Louis University School of Medicine, he completed his Internal Medicine residency and Rheumatology fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology.
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, is a U.S. board-certified Anatomic Pathologist with subspecialty training in the fields of Experimental and Molecular Pathology. Dr. Stöppler's educational background includes a BA with Highest Distinction from the University of Virginia and an MD from the University of North Carolina. She completed residency training in Anatomic Pathology at Georgetown University followed by subspecialty fellowship training in molecular diagnostics and experimental pathology.
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders facts
- What is the temporomandibular joint?
- What are TMJ disorders, and what are causes of TMJ disorders?
- What are common TMJ symptoms?
- How are patients evaluated and diagnosed when TMJ problems are suspected?
- What is the treatment for TMJ disorders?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) of TMJ disorder?
- Can TMJ problems be prevented?
- Patient Comments: Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) - Causes
- Patient Comments: Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) - Treatments
- Patient Comments: Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) - Symptoms
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders facts
- The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the site where the upper jaw (maxilla) and lower jaw (mandible) meet.
- TMJ disorders are a group of complex problems with many possible causes.
- Symptoms of TMJ disorders include headache, ear pain, dizziness, and fullness or ringing in the ear.
- There are many treatment options for TMJ disorders.
Viewers share their comments
Find out what women really need.