"Feb. 8, 2013 -- With winter cold and flu season in full swing -- and a new strain of norovirus circulating -- everyone's trying to dodge the bugs. Norovirus causes intestinal illness, and it's often the root of outbreaks at schools and in nursing"...
Tessalon Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is benzonatate (Tessalon)?
- What are the possible side effects of benzonatate (Tessalon)?
- What is the most important information I should know about benzonatate (Tessalon)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking benzonatate (Tessalon)?
- How should I take benzonatate (Tessalon)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tessalon)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tessalon)?
- What should I avoid while taking benzonatate (Tessalon)?
- What other drugs will affect benzonatate (Tessalon)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking benzonatate (Tessalon)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to benzonatate or topical numbing medicines such as tetracaine or procaine (found in some insect bite and sunburn creams).
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether benzonatate will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether benzonatate passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give this medication to a child younger than 10 years old without medical advice. An overdose of benzonatate can be fatal, especially to a child.
How should I take benzonatate (Tessalon)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Always ask a doctor before giving a cough medicine to a child. Death can occur from the misuse of cough and cold medicines in very young children.
Take each dose with a full glass of water.
Never suck or chew on a benzonatate capsule. Swallow the pill whole. Sucking or chewing the capsule may cause your mouth and throat to feel numb or cause other serious side effects.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.
Additional Tessalon Information
Tessalon - User Reviews
Tessalon User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.