Testicular Pain (Pain in the Testicles)
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Testicular pain can have a number of different causes, some of which constitute a medical emergency. Trauma is a common cause of testicular pain when the scrotum is injured, most commonly as a result of blunt trauma. Testicular torsion is a condition in which the testicle twists inside the scrotum, causing an interruption in the blood supply to the testicle. Testicular torsion is an emergency, since interruption of the blood supply can lead to tissue death of the affected testicle. Inflammation of the testicle or epididymis can also lead to testicular pain. Sometimes, pain from other conditions, such as kidney stones, may be perceived in the scrotum.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Testicular Pain
Causes of Testicular Pain
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleHernia Article
- What is an abdominal hernia?
- What are the different types of abdominal hernias?
- What causes an abdominal hernia?
- What are the signs and symptoms of an abdominal hernia?
- How are abdominal hernias diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for an abdominal hernia?
- What non-surgical treatments are available for an abdominal hernia?
- What is the prognosis for an abdominal hernia?
- Can an abdominal hernia be prevented?
In This ArticleHydrocele Article
- Hydrocele facts
- What is a hydrocele?
- What causes hydroceles?
- What are the physical features and types of hydroceles?
- Communicating hydroceles
- Non-communicating hydroceles
- How are hydroceles diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for hydroceles?
- What are other non-tender scrotal swelling conditions?
In This ArticleKidney Stones Article
- What is a kidney stone?
- What causes kidney stones?
- What are the different types of kidney stones?
- Who is at risk for kidney stones?
- What are the signs and symptoms of kidney stones?
- How are kidney stones diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for kidney stones?
- What is the prognosis for kidney stones?
- Can kidney stones be prevented?
In This ArticleMumps Article
- Mumps facts
- What is mumps?
- What is the history of mumps?
- What causes mumps? How is mumps transmitted?
- What are risk factors for contracting mumps?
- What are the signs and symptoms of mumps in children and adults?
- How is mumps diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for mumps in adults and in children?
- What are complications of mumps?
- Can mumps be prevented? Is there a vaccine for mumps?
- What is the prognosis of a mumps infection?
- Where can people find more information on mumps?
In This ArticleSTDs in Men Article
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Who is at risk for STDs?
- What causes STDs?
- What are the signs and symptoms of STDs?
- List of STDs in men
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts (HPV)
- How are STDs diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for STDs?
- What is the prognosis for STDs?
- Can STDs be prevented?
In This ArticleTesticular Cancer Article
- Testicular cancer facts*
- What is testicular cancer?
- What are testicular cancer risk factors and causes?
- How is testicular cancer detected? What are testicular cancer symptoms and warning signs?
- How is testicular cancer diagnosed?
- How is testicular cancer treated? What are the side effects of treatment for testicular cancer?
- Is follow-up treatment necessary for testicular cancer? What does it involve?
- Are clinical trials (research studies) available for men with testicular cancer?
In This ArticleUrinary Tract Infections (UTIs) Article
- What is a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
- What causes a urinary tract infection?
- What are urinary tract infection symptoms and signs?
- When should people seek medical care for a UTI?
- How do physicians diagnose a urinary tract infection?
- Are there home remedies for a urinary tract infection?
- What is the treatment for a urinary tract infection?
- What follow-up is needed for a urinary tract infection?
- Is it possible to prevent a urinary tract infection?
- What is the prognosis of a urinary tract infection?
Other Causes of Testicular Pain
- Fournier's Gangrene
- Rupture of the Testicle
- Testicular Torsion
- Torsion of a Testicular Appendage
- Trauma or Injury
- Tumors of the Testicle
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.