Testosterone Therapy to Treat ED (cont.)
In this Article
- Testosterone deficiency introduction
- What causes testosterone deficiency?
- What are the symptoms of testosterone deficiency?
- What changes occur in the body due to testosterone deficiency?
- How do I find out if I have a testosterone deficiency?
- How is testosterone deficiency treated?
- Who shouldn't take testosterone replacement therapy?
- What are the side effects of testosterone replacement therapy?
- Find a local Urologist in your town
What are the symptoms of testosterone deficiency?
Without adequate testosterone a man may lose his sex drive, experience erectile dysfunction, feel depressed, have a decreased sense of well-being, and have difficulty concentrating.
What changes occur in the body due to testosterone deficiency?
- Decrease in muscle mass, with an increase in body fat and weight gain
- Changes in cholesterol levels.
- Decrease in hemoglobin and possibly mild anemia.
- Fragile bones (osteoporosis).
- Decrease in body hair.
- Changes in cholesterol levels and lipid levels.
How do I find out if I have a testosterone deficiency?
The only accurate way to detect the condition is to have your doctor measure the amount of testosterone in your blood. Because testosterone levels fluctuate throughout the day, several measurements will need to be taken to detect a deficiency. Doctors prefer, if possible, to test levels early in the morning since this is when testosterone levels are at their highest.
How is testosterone deficiency treated?
Testosterone deficiency can be treated by:
- Intramuscular injections, generally every two or three weeks
- Testosterone patch worn either on the body or on the scrotum (the sac that contains the testicles)
- Testosterone gel
- Mucoadhesive material applied above the teeth twice a day
- Injectible pellets
Each of these options provides adequate levels of hormone replacement; however, they all have different advantages and disadvantages. Talk to your doctor to see which approach may be right for you.
Sex & Relationships
Get tips to boost your love life.