"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced today that injectable drugs used in total parenteral nutrition (TPN) in critical shortage will be imported into the United States and available to patients this week.
TPN is an intravenous"...
It is a contraindication to use this or any other related vaccine after a serious adverse event temporally associated with a previous dose including an anaphylactic reaction.
If a contraindication to using tetanus toxoid (tetanus (tetanus toxoid) toxoid) -containing preparations exists in a person who has not completed a primary immunizing course of tetanus toxoid (tetanus (tetanus toxoid) toxoid) and other than a clean, minor wound is sustained, only passive immunization should be given using TIG (Human).2
Elective immunization should be deferred during the course of any febrile illness or acute infection. A minor afebrile illness such as a mild upper respiratory infection should not preclude immunization.2
Elective immunization procedures should be deferred during an outbreak of poliomyelitis.8
It is a contraindication to use this or any other related vaccine after a serious adverse reaction temporally associated with a previous dose, including an anaphylactic reaction.
2. Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP). Diphtheria, Tetanus (tetanus toxoid) , and Pertussis: Recommendations for vaccine use and other preventive measures. MMWR 40:No. RR-10, 1991
5. Report on the Committee of Infectious Diseases, ed 25. Elk Grove Village, IL. American Academy of Pediatrics, 2000
8. Wilson GS. The Hazards of Immunization. Provocation poliomyelitis:270-274, 1967
Last reviewed on RxList: 6/6/2006
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Tetanus Information
- Tetanus Drug Interactions Center: tetanus toxoid fluid inj
- Tetanus Side Effects Center
- Tetanus FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.