"The US Food and Drug Administration has approved AstraZeneca's Symbicort inhalation aerosol (80/4.5 mcg) for children aged 6 to 12 years with asthma that is not well controlled with an inhaled corticosteroid, the company has announced.
Theo-24 Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Elixophyllin, Theo-24
Generic Name: theophylline (Pronunciation: thee OFF i lin)
- What is theophylline (Theo-24)?
- What are the possible side effects of theophylline (Theo-24)?
- What is the most important information I should know about theophylline (Theo-24)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking theophylline (Theo-24)?
- How should I take theophylline (Theo-24)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Theo-24)?
- What happens if I overdose (Theo-24)?
- What should I avoid while taking theophylline (Theo-24)?
- What other drugs will affect theophylline (Theo-24)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is theophylline (Theo-24)?
Theophylline is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the lungs and chest, making the lungs less sensitive to allergens and other causes of bronchospasm.
Theophylline is used to treat symptoms such as wheezing or shortness of breath caused by asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, and other breathing problems
Theophylline may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Quibron 300 mg
rectangular, white, imprinted with RP 070
Theo-24 100 mg
capsule, orange/yellow, imprinted with Theo-24 100 mg, ucb 2832
Theo-24 200 mg
capsule, orange/red, imprinted with Theo-24 200 mg, ucb 2842
Theo-24 300 mg
capsule, clear/red, imprinted with Theo-24 300 mg, ucb 2852
Theo-24 400 mg
capsule, clear/pink, imprinted with Theo-24 400 mg, ucb 2902
Theo-Dur 200 mg
elliptical, white, imprinted with THEO-DUR 200
Theo-Dur 300 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with THEO-DUR 300
Theo-Dur 450 mg
oblong, white, imprinted with THEO-DUR 450
Theophylline 100 mg ER-INW
round, white, imprinted with LOGO 3584
Theophylline 200 mg ER-MUT
elliptical, white, imprinted with IL 3583
Theophylline 200 mg-QUA
elliptical, white, imprinted with SL 482
Theophylline 200 mg-WAR
elliptical, white, imprinted with WARRICK 1660
Theophylline 300 mg ER-INW
oblong, white, imprinted with LOGO 3581
Theophylline 300 mg ER-WAR
oblong, white, imprinted with WARRICK 1670
Theophylline 450 mg-BAR
oblong, white, imprinted with PLIVA 518
Theophylline 450 mg-WAR
oblong, white, imprinted with WARRICK 1680
Theophylline SR 300 mg-BAR
oblong, white, imprinted with SL 459
Uniphyl 400 mg
round, white, imprinted with P F, U 400, PF, U400
What are the possible side effects of theophylline (Theo-24)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using theophylline and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe or continued vomiting;
- rapid or uneven heartbeats;
- seizure (convulsions);
- confusion, tremors or shaking;
- nausea and vomiting, severe headache, rapid heart rate;
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or
- high blood sugar (increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision, weight loss).
Less serious side effects may include:
- stomach pain, diarrhea, upset stomach;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- feeling restless, nervous, or irritable;
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Theo-24 (theophylline anhydrous capsule) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about theophylline (Theo-24)?
Do not take theophylline in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Theophylline overdose can occur if you accidentally take too much at one time, or if your daily doses are too high. To be sure you are using the correct dose, your blood will need to be tested often.
Do not start or stop smoking without first talking to your doctor. Smoking changes the way your body uses theophylline, and you may need to use a different dose.
Sometimes it is not safe to use certain drugs at the same time. Many drugs can interact with theophylline. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use. Also tell your doctor if you start or stop using any of your other medications.
Stop using theophylline and call your doctor at once if you have severe or continued vomiting, rapid heartbeats, confusion, tremors, or seizure.
Additional Theo-24 Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.