"Nov. 29, 2012 (Chicago) -- For cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy who have found their complaints of general mental fogginess and haziness dismissed by their doctors as not being a real medical condition, vindication has arrived.
- Inform patients to notify their physicians if they have any of the following symptoms that last more than 48 hours or increase in severity: fever, chills, malaise, flu-like symptoms, increased fatigue, or an increase burning or pain on urination.
- Inform patients to notify their physicians right away if they experience any of the following: increased urinary urgency or frequency of urination, blood in urine, joint pain, eye pain, irritation, or redness, cough, skin rash, jaundice, or vomiting.
- Inform patients that TheraCys contains live mycobacteria
that can be present in voided urine. Advise patients on proper procedures to
minimize environmental contamination of voided urine.
- For 6 hours after treatment, void while seated to minimize splashing of urine.
- For 6 hours after treatment, disinfect voided urine by adding an approximately equal volume of household bleach (5% hypochlorite solution) into the toilet bowl and allowing the bleach and urine to stand for 15 minutes prior to flushing.
- Family and close contacts should avoid contact with voided urine.
- Increase fluid intake to flush the bladder for several hours after treatment with TheraCys, unless medically contraindicated.
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/4/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Theracys Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.