Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)
Table of Contents
- Thrush facts
- What is thrush?
- What causes thrush?
- What are risk factors for thrush?
- What are thrush symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose thrush?
- What is the treatment for thrush?
- Are there home remedies for thrush?
- What types of doctors treat oral thrush?
- What is the prognosis of thrush?
- Is it possible to prevent thrush?
What causes thrush?
An overgrowth of the Candida fungus in the mouth or throat is what causes thrush. This overgrowth may be triggered to occur when the person experiences changes such as illness, pregnancy, new medications, or changes in the immune system.
Thrush in infants and newborns is relatively common and is only a concern if it causes poor feeding or is associated with weight loss or other symptoms of systemic illness. Consult a pediatrician if thrush in an infant lasts more than a couple of weeks. Continue Reading