July 26, 2016
Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)
Table of Contents
- Thrush facts
- What is thrush?
- What causes thrush?
- What are risk factors for thrush?
- What are thrush symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose thrush?
- What is the treatment for thrush?
- Are there home remedies for thrush?
- What types of doctors treat oral thrush?
- What is the prognosis of thrush?
- Is it possible to prevent thrush?
What are risk factors for thrush?
Healthy adults generally do not get thrush without having some risk factors. Patients with weakened immune systems are most at risk for getting thrush. Risk factors associated with thrush include the following:
- Illnesses, including poorly controlled diabetes, HIV/AIDS infection, cancer, and dry mouth
- Taking medications such as antibiotics, corticosteroids, chemotherapy or other cancer drugs, radiation, and birth control pills
- Having an organ transplant
- Poorly fitting dentures
4/10Reviewed on 3/30/2016