"Nov. 4, 2014 -- Twenty-year-old Milton Wright III's life seemed to finally be on track. After a lifetime of interruptions to his education, his football career, and his plans to join the Marines, he found his way. He had launched a modeling caree"...
- Inform patients that the most common adverse events from clinical experience were nausea and headache.
- Advise patients to seek immediate medical attention should they experience severe symptoms.
- Prior to THYROGEN administration, counsel patients to seek care immediately for any neurologic symptoms occurring after administration of the drug.
- Inform patients for whom THYROGEN induced hyperthyroidism could have serious consequences, hospitalization for administration of THYROGEN and post-administrative observation should be considered.
Dosing and Administration
- Patients should be instructed that THYROGEN is for intramuscular administration into the buttock only. THYROGEN should not be administered intravenously.
- Inform patients the treatment regimen is two doses of THYROGEN administered at a 24 hour interval.
- Encourage patients to remain hydrated prior to treatment with THYROGEN.
Schedule of Procedures
- Inform patients that if diagnostic scanning will be performed, radioiodine will be given 24 hours after the second injection of THYROGEN, and patients should return for the scan 48 hours after radioiodine administration.
- Inform patients that if serum Tg testing is performed, blood will be drawn 72 hours or later after the second injection of THYROGEN.
- Inform patients that if remnant ablation is performed radioiodine will be administered 24 hours after the second injection of THYROGEN.
Last reviewed on RxList: 4/10/2014
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Thyrogen Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.