Thyroid Peroxidase Test (cont.)
Robert Ferry Jr., MD
Robert Ferry Jr., MD, is a U.S. board-certified Pediatric Endocrinologist. After taking his baccalaureate degree from Yale College, receiving his doctoral degree and residency training in pediatrics at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA), he completed fellowship training in pediatric endocrinology at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dr. Shiel received a Bachelor of Science degree with honors from the University of Notre Dame. There he was involved in research in radiation biology and received the Huisking Scholarship. After graduating from St. Louis University School of Medicine, he completed his Internal Medicine residency and Rheumatology fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology.
In this Article
- What is thyroid peroxidase?
- What is the thyroid peroxidase test?
- What does a positive thyroid peroxidase test mean?
- What are other names for thyroid peroxidase test?
What does a positive thyroid peroxidase test mean?
- Most people with chronic thyroiditis (70%-90%) display a positive TPO test. The test is also positive in lesser numbers of people with other thyroid diseases.
- Other autoimmune disorders that may cause a positive TPOAb test include:
- About 3% of people with a positive TPOAb test show no evidence of disease.
- The chance of having a positive TPOAb test is greater in females and increases with age.
What are other names for thyroid peroxidase test?
This test goes by a confusing number of names, including:
- thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody (TPOAb) test,
- thyroid peroxidase autoantibody test,
- antimicrosomal antibody test, and
- antithyroid microsomal antibody test.
Previous contributing author: Frederick Hecht, MD, FAAP
Medically reviewed by John A. Seibel, MD; Board Certified Internal Medicine with a subspecialty in Endocrinology & Metabolism
"Laboratory assessment of thyroid function"
Find out what women really need.