"Having close biological relatives with heart disease can increase your risk of developing this disease. Family health history offers important information to help you and your family members understand health risks and prevent disease.
Tikosyn Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tikosyn
Generic Name: dofetilide (Pronunciation: doe FET i lide)
- What is dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
- What are the possible side effects of dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
- What is the most important information I should know about dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
- How should I take dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tikosyn)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tikosyn)?
- What should I avoid while taking dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
- What other drugs will affect dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
Dofetilide is a heart rhythm medication, also called an antiarrhythmic.
Dofetilide is used to help keep the heart beating normally in people with certain heart rhythm disorders of the atrium (the upper chambers of the heart that allow blood to flow into the heart). Dofetilide is used in people with atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter.
Dofetilide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- headache with chest pain and severe dizziness;
- fast or pounding heartbeats, feeling like you might pass out;
- low magnesium (confusion, uneven heart rate, jerking muscle movements, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild headache;
- mild dizziness;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- back pain;
- nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain;
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tikosyn (dofetilide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about dofetilide (Tikosyn)?
Dofetilide is available only from a hospital or specialty pharmacy.
You should not take dofetilide if you are allergic to it, or if you have severe kidney disease (or you are on dialysis) or a history of Long QT syndrome.
Before you receive dofetilide, tell your doctor if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, severe liver disease, depression, mental illness, or an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood).
There are many other drugs that should not be used together with dofetilide. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use.
Tell your doctor if you have a prolonged illness that causes severe diarrhea, vomiting, heavy sweating, increased thirst, or loss of appetite. These conditions can cause an electrolyte imbalance (such as low potassium levels), making it dangerous for you to use dofetilide.
Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Additional Tikosyn Information
- Tikosyn Drug Interactions Center: dofetilide oral
- Tikosyn Side Effects Center
- Tikosyn Overview including Precautions
- Tikosyn FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Tikosyn - User Reviews
Tikosyn User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.