"Norovirus is now the leading cause of acute gastroenteritis among children less than 5 years of age who seek medical care, according to a new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine. ¬Norovirus was responsible for nearly"...
Timentin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Timentin
Generic Name: ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (injection) (Pronunciation: TYE kar SIL in KLAV ue la nate poe TAS ee um)
- What is ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
- What are the possible side effects of ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
- How should I use ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Timentin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Timentin)?
- What should I avoid while using ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
- What other drugs will affect ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
Ticarcillin is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called penicillins. Ticarcillin fights bacteria in the body.
Clavulanate potassium is a form of clavulanic acid, which is similar to penicillin. Clavulanate potassium fights bacteria that is often resistant to penicillins and other antibiotics.
The combination of ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium is used to treat many different infections caused by bacteria, such as urinary tract infections, bone and joint infections, severe vaginal infections, stomach infections, and skin infections.
Ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- blood in your urine, feeling an urgent need to urinate, painful or difficult urination;
- easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- dry mouth, increased thirst, confusion, increased urination, muscle pain or weakness, fast heart rate, feeling light-headed, fainting;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- chest pain; or
- seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild diarrhea, gas, stomach pain;
- nausea or vomiting;
- joint or muscle pain;
- skin rash or itching;
- pain, swelling, or burning where the injection was given; or
- vaginal yeast infection (itching or discharge).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Timentin (ticarcillin and clavulanate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium (Timentin)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to clavulanate potassium, ticarcillin or to any other penicillin antibiotic, such as amoxicillin (Amoxil, Augmentin), ampicillin (Omnipen, Principen), carbenicillin (Geocillin), dicloxacillin (Dycill, Dynapen), oxacillin (Bactocill), penicillin (Beepen-VK, Ledercillin VK, Pen-V, Pen-Vee K, Pfizerpen, V-Cillin K, Veetids), and others.
Before using ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium tell your doctor if you are allergic to cephalosporins such as Ceclor, Ceftin, Duricef, Keflex, and others, or if you have kidney disease, a bleeding or blood clotting disorder, low levels of potassium in your blood, a history of any type of allergy, or if you are on a salt-restricted diet.
Use this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated. Ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium can make birth control pills less effective. Use a second non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while using ticarcillin and clavulanate potassium.
Additional Timentin Information
- Timentin Drug Interactions Center: ticarcillin-clavulanate iv
- Timentin Side Effects Center
- Timentin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.