"A study in mice reveals an elegant circuit within the developing visual system that helps dictate how the eyes connect to the brain. The research, funded by the National Institutes of Health, has implications for treating amblyopia, a vision diso"...
Timoptic-XE Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Betimol, Istalol, Timoptic Ocudose, Timoptic Ocumeter, Timoptic Ocumeter Plus, Timoptic-XE
Generic Name: timolol ophthalmic (Pronunciation: TIM oh lol off THAL mik)
- What is timolol ophthalmic (Timoptic-XE)?
- What are the possible side effects of timolol ophthalmic?
- What is the most important information I should know about timolol ophthalmic?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using timolol ophthalmic?
- How should I use timolol ophthalmic?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while using timolol ophthalmic?
- What other drugs will affect timolol ophthalmic?
- Where can I get more information?
What is timolol ophthalmic (Timoptic-XE)?
Timolol is a beta-blocker that also reduces pressure inside the eye.
Timolol ophthalmic (for the eyes) is used to treat open-angle glaucoma and other causes of high pressure inside the eye.
Timolol ophthalmic may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Timolol 0.25% Gel-FAL
Timolol 0.25% Ophth-FAL
Timolol 0.5% Gel-FAL
Timolol 0.5% Ophth-FAL
What are the possible side effects of timolol ophthalmic?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- swelling or redness of your eyelids;
- eye redness, discomfort, or sensitivity to light;
- drainage, crusting, or oozing of your eyes or eyelids;
- depressed mood, confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- wheezing, gasping, or other breathing problems;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- chest pain, slow or uneven heart rate; or
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion.
Less serious side effects may include:
- blurred vision, double vision, drooping eyelid;
- burning or stinging in your eye;
- headache, weakness, drowsiness;
- numbness, tingling, or cold feeling in your hands or feet;
- ringing in your ears;
- dry mouth;
- nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, upset stomach;
- skin rash or worsening psoriasis;
- sleep problems (insomnia); or
- cough, stuffy nose.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Timoptic-XE (timolol maleate ophthalmic gel forming solution) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about timolol ophthalmic?
Do not allow the dropper to touch any surface, including the eyes or hands. If the dropper becomes contaminated it could cause an infection in your eye, which can lead to vision loss or serious damage to the eye.
Do not use any other eye medication unless your doctor has prescribed it for you. If you use another eye medication, use it at least 10 minutes before or after using timolol ophthalmic. Do not use the medications at the same time.
Timolol ophthalmic can cause blurred vision. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be able to see clearly.
Additional Timoptic-XE Information
- Timoptic-XE Drug Interactions Center: timolol maleate opht
- Timoptic-XE Side Effects Center
- Timoptic-XE Overview including Precautions
- Timoptic-XE FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.