"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Cometriq (cabozantinib) to treat medullary thyroid cancer that has spread to other parts of the body (metastasized).
Medullary thyroid cancer develops in cells in the thyroid gland that m"...
- Patient Information:
Details with Side Effects
NOT FOR TREATMENT OF OBESITY OR FOR WEIGHT LOSS
- Thyroid hormones, including TIROSINT, either alone or with other therapeutic agents, should not be used for the treatment of obesity or for weight loss.
- In euthyroid patients, doses within the range of daily hormonal requirements are ineffective for weight reduction.
- Larger doses may produce serious or even life threatening manifestations of toxicity, particularly when given in association with sympathomimetic amines such as those used for their anorectic effects [See ADVERSE REACTIONS, DRUG INTERACTIONS, and OVERDOSAGE].
TIROSINT (levothyroxine sodium) is L-thyroxine. The orally
administered gelatin capsules contain synthetic L-3,3',5,5'-tetraiodothyronine
sodium salt [levothyroxine (T4) sodium]. Synthetic T4 is
chemically identical to that produced in the human thyroid gland. Levothyroxine
(T4) sodium has an empirical formula of C15H10I4NNaO4
• x H2O (where x = 5), molecular weight of 798.86 g/mol (anhydrous),
and structural formula as shown:
The inactive ingredients in TIROSINT are gelatin, glycerin and water.
What are the possible side effects of levothyroxine (Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid, Tirosint, Unithroid)?
Stop using levothyroxine and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- nervous or irritable feeling;
- fever, hot flashes, sweating;
- changes in your menstrual periods;
- appetite changes, weight changes;
Less serious side effects may include mild hair...
Last reviewed on RxList: 3/14/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Tirosint Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.