Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Pain in the toe can arise due to abnormalities or injury to any of the structures in the toe, including skin, nerves, bones, blood vessels, and soft tissues. Toe pain is a fairly common symptom, since our feet are constantly exposed to injury by walking and moving around. Some of the most common causes of toe pain include ingrown toenails, cuts or scrapes, other injuries, blisters, and corns and calluses. Arthritis and infections are additional causes of toe pain.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Toe Pain
In This ArticleAthlete's Foot Article
- Athlete's foot facts
- What is athlete's foot?
- What are the symptoms and signs of athlete's foot?
- What does athlete's foot look like?
- Is athlete's foot contagious?
- What else causes foot rashes?
- What is the treatment for athlete's foot?
- What home remedy can I use for athlete's foot?
- How can I treat athlete's foot in pregnancy?
- When should I seek medical care?
- What are possible complications of athlete's foot?
- What kind of doctor treats athlete's foot?
- How can I prevent future athlete's foot infections?
In This ArticleBroken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures) Article
- What is a broken bone (fracture)?
- What causes a broken bone?
- What are the most common types of broken bones?
- Compression fracture
- Skull fracture
- Stress fracture
- What are the most common bones that are broken?
- Broken hand or fingers
- Broken wrist
- Broken hip
- Broken leg
- Broken toe
- Broken shoulder
- What are the signs and symptoms of a broken bone?
- When should I call a doctor if I think I have broken a bone?
- How is a broken bone diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a broken bone?
- What about surgery for a broken bone?
- How can fractures be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for a broken bone?
In This ArticleBruises Article
- Bumps and bruises facts
- What is a bruise?
- Why do bruises occur more frequently in some people than in others?
- What does a bruise look like, and why does it change color?
- What if the bruise doesn't get better or the area stays swollen?
- What are some less common causes of bruising, and what do they indicate?
- What is the treatment for bruising?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for bruising?
In This ArticleBunions Article
- Bunions facts
- What are bunions?
- What are the causes of bunions?
- Who develops bunions?
- What are symptoms and signs of a bunion?
- How is a bunion diagnosed?
- How are bunions treated? Are there home remedies to treat bunions?
- Can bunions be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of a bunion?
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleCuts, Scrapes and Puncture Wounds Article
- Cuts, scrapes (abrasions), and puncture wounds facts
- What is the best first aid for a cut or scrape?
- Who should seek medical care for a cut?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a wound infection?
- How are puncture wounds different?
- Will I need a tetanus shot for a cut, scrape, or puncture wound?
In This ArticleFoot Pain Article
- How is the foot designed?
- What causes foot pain?
- What other symptoms and signs may accompany foot pain?
- When should I seek medical treatment for foot pain?
- How is foot pain diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for foot pain?
- What follow-up care is needed after foot pain is treated?
- How can foot pain be prevented?
- Foot Pain At A Glance
In This ArticleFungal Nails Article
- What other conditions can be mistaken for fungal nails?
- What causes fungal nails, and what are some of the risk factors?
- Is nail fungus contagious?
- What are the symptoms and signs of fungal nails?
- How are fungal nails diagnosed?
- How is nail fungus treated?
- Are oral medications for nail fungus toxic?
- What about the cost of oral medications?
- How do you prevent fungal nails?
- What is the prognosis of fungal nails?
In This ArticleGout (Gouty Arthritis) Article
- Gout facts
- What is gout?
- What causes gout?
- What are risk factors for gout?
- What are symptoms and signs of gout?
- How is gout diagnosed?
- When should gout be treated?
- What is the treatment for gout?
- Do gout medications have any side effects?
- What foods should people with gout avoid?
- What complications are associated with gout?
- What is the prognosis of gout?
- Is it possible to prevent gout?
- What research is being done on gout?
In This ArticleIngrown Toenail Article
- Ingrown toenail facts
- What are ingrown toenails?
- What are the symptoms and signs of an ingrown toenail?
- What causes ingrown toenails?
- Are some people more prone to ingrown toenails?
- Which nails are most commonly affected by ingrown toenails?
- What causes infections in ingrown toenails?
- How do physicians diagnose an ingrown toenail?
- What are possible complications of ingrown toenails?
- How do people treat an ingrown toenail at home?
- When should someone seek medical treatment for an ingrown toenail?
- What kind of doctor treats ingrown toenails?
- What is the treatment for ingrown toenails?
- What types of nail surgery are used for ingrown toenails?
- How can people prevent ingrown toenails from recurring?
- Ingrown toenail do's
- Ingrown toenail dont's
- What is the prognosis for an ingrown toenail?
In This ArticleOsteomyelitis Article
- Osteomyelitis facts
- What is osteomyelitis?
- What causes osteomyelitis?
- What are osteomyelitis symptoms and signs?
- How is osteomyelitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for osteomyelitis?
- What is the prognosis for osteomyelitis?
In This ArticlePeripheral Neuropathy Article
- Peripheral neuropathy facts
- What is peripheral neuropathy?
- What causes peripheral neuropathy?
- What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?
- How is peripheral neuropathy diagnosed?
- Is there any treatment for peripheral neuropathy?
- Can peripheral neuropathy be prevented?
In This ArticlePseudogout Article
- Pseudogout facts
- What is pseudogout?
- What are causes of pseudogout?
- What are risk factors for pseudogout?
- What are pseudogout symptoms and signs?
- How does a doctor diagnose pseudogout?
- What are treatments for pseudogout?
- What other conditions can accompany pseudogout?
- Are there special circumstances that can promote attacks of pseudogout?
- What are complications of pseudogout?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) of pseudogout?
- Can pseudogout be prevented?
In This ArticleRheumatoid Arthritis Article
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) facts
- What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What are causes and risk factors of rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and signs?
- What are complications of rheumatoid disease?
- How do physicians diagnose rheumatoid arthritis?
- What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?
- "First-line" rheumatoid arthritis medications
- "Second-line" or "slow-acting" rheumatoid arthritis drugs
- What are newer treatments for rheumatoid arthritis?
- Rheumatoid arthritis diet and other treatments
- What about rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with rheumatoid arthritis?
- Is it possible to prevent rheumatoid arthritis?
- What research is being done on rheumatoid arthritis?
- Where can people get additional information on rheumatoid arthritis?
In This ArticleSeptic Arthritis Article
- Septic arthritis facts
- What is septic arthritis?
- What microbes cause septic arthritis?
- Who is at risk of developing septic arthritis?
- What are symptoms and signs of septic arthritis?
- How do physicians diagnose septic arthritis?
- How is septic arthritis treated?
- What are complications of septic arthritis?
- What is the prognosis of septic arthritis?
- Is it possible to prevent septic arthritis?
In This ArticleTurf Toe Article
- What causes turf toe?
- What are the symptoms and signs of turf toe?
- How is turf toe diagnosed?
- How is turf toe treated? Is taping or rehab necessary in the treatment of turf toe?
- Can turf toe be prevented?
In This ArticleWarts (Common Warts) Article
- Wart facts
- What are warts?
- What are some types of warts?
- What is the treatment for warts?
- Is using over-the-counter wart treatments safe?
- Are wart treatments effective?
- What if wart removal treatments fail?
Other Causes of Toe Pain
- Hammer Toe
- Other Injuries
Examples of Medications for Toe Pain
Find out what women really need.