Toe Pain Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Pain in the toe can arise due to abnormalities or injury to any of the structures in the toe, including skin, nerves, bones, blood vessels, and soft tissues. Toe pain is a fairly common symptom, since our feet are constantly exposed to injury by walking and moving around. Some of the most common causes of toe pain include ingrown toenails, cuts or scrapes, other injuries, blisters, and corns. Arthritis and infections are additional causes of toe pain.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Toe Pain
In This ArticleArthritis Article
- Arthritis facts
- What is arthritis? What causes arthritis?
- What are risk factors for arthritis?
- What are arthritis symptoms and signs?
- Who is affected by arthritis?
- How is arthritis diagnosed, and why is a diagnosis important?
- What is the treatment for arthritis?
- Is there a special diet for arthritis?
- What are the prognosis (outlook) for arthritis, and what are arthritis complications?
- Can arthritis be prevented?
- What is the national financial impact of arthritis?
- What is a rheumatologist?
- What is the Arthritis Foundation?
In This ArticleAthlete's Foot Article
- Athlete's foot facts
- What is athlete's foot?
- What are the symptoms and signs of athlete's foot?
- What does athlete's foot look like?
- Is athlete's foot contagious?
- What else causes foot rashes?
- What is the treatment for athlete's foot?
- What home remedy can I use for athlete's foot?
- How can I treat athlete's foot in pregnancy?
- When should I seek medical care?
- What are possible complications of athlete's foot?
- What kind of doctor treats athlete's foot?
- How can I prevent future athlete's foot infections?
In This ArticleBone Fracture (Broken Bone) Article
- Bone fracture facts
- Introduction and definition of bone fracture
- What causes a bone fracture?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a bone fracture?
- What are common types of bone fractures?
- Broken wrist
- Broken hip
- Broken leg
- Broken shoulder
- Broken hand or fingers
- Open fracture
- Stress fracture
- Compression fracture
- Broken rib
- Skull fracture
- Other fractures
- Bone fracture in children
- How is a bone fracture diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a bone fracture?
- Bone fracture surgery
In This ArticleBruises Article
- What is a bruise?
- Why do bruises occur more frequently in some people than in others?
- What does a bruise look like, and why does it change color?
- What if the bruise doesn't get better or the area stays swollen?
- What are some less common causes of bruising, and what do they indicate?
- What is the treatment for bruising?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for bruising?
- Bumps & bruises facts
In This ArticleBunions Article
- Bunions facts
- What are bunions?
- What are the causes of bunions?
- Who develops bunions?
- What are symptoms and signs of a bunion?
- How is a bunion diagnosed?
- How are bunions treated? Are there home remedies to treat bunions?
- Can bunions be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of a bunion?
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleCuts, Scrapes and Puncture Wounds Article
- Cuts, scrapes (abrasions), and puncture wounds facts
- What is the best way to care for a cut or scrape?
- Who should seek medical care for a cut?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a wound infection?
- How are puncture wounds different?
- Will I need a tetanus shot for a cut, scrape, or puncture wound?
In This ArticleFoot Pain Article
- How is the foot designed?
- What causes foot pain?
- What other symptoms and signs may accompany foot pain?
- When should I seek medical treatment for foot pain?
- How is foot pain diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for foot pain?
- What follow-up care is needed after foot pain is treated?
- How can foot pain be prevented?
- Foot Pain At A Glance
In This ArticleFungal Nails Article
- What other conditions can be mistaken for fungal nails?
- What causes fungal nails, and what are some of the risk factors?
- Is nail fungus contagious?
- What are the symptoms and signs of fungal nails?
- How are fungal nails diagnosed?
- How is nail fungus treated?
- Are oral medications for nail fungus toxic?
- What about the cost of oral medications?
- How do you prevent fungal nails?
- What is the prognosis of fungal nails?
In This ArticleGout Article
- Gout and hyperuricemia facts
- What is gout? What is hyperuricemia?
- Who is affected by gout?
- What are gout causes and risk factors?
- What are gout symptoms and signs?
- How is gouty arthritis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for gout?
- Gout diet
- Gout medications
- What are complications of gout?
- Can gout be prevented?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with gout?
- What does the future hold for patients with gout and hyperuricemia?
In This ArticleIngrown Toenail Article
- What are ingrown toenails? What are the symptoms?
- What causes ingrown toenails?
- Are some people more prone to ingrown toenails?
- Which nails are most commonly affected?
- What causes infections in ingrown toenails?
- What are possible complications of ingrown toenails?
- How do I treat an ingrown toenail at home?
- When should I see a physician?
- What kind of doctor treats ingrown toenails?
- How are ingrown toenails treated?
- What types of nail surgery are used for ingrown toenails?
- How can I prevent ingrown toenails from recurring?
- Ingrown Toenail Do's
- Ingrown Toenail Don'ts
- Ingrown Toenail At A Glance
In This ArticleOsteomyelitis Article
- Osteomyelitis facts
- What is osteomyelitis?
- What causes osteomyelitis?
- What are osteomyelitis symptoms and signs?
- How is osteomyelitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for osteomyelitis?
- What is the prognosis for osteomyelitis?
In This ArticlePeripheral Neuropathy Article
- Peripheral neuropathy facts
- What is peripheral neuropathy?
- What causes peripheral neuropathy?
- What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?
- How is peripheral neuropathy diagnosed?
- Is there any treatment for peripheral neuropathy?
- Can peripheral neuropathy be prevented?
In This ArticlePseudogout Article
- Pseudogout facts
- What is pseudogout?
- What are causes of pseudogout?
- What are risk factors for pseudogout?
- What are pseudogout symptoms and signs?
- How does a doctor diagnose pseudogout?
- What are treatments for pseudogout?
- What other conditions can accompany pseudogout?
- Are there special circumstances that can promote attacks of pseudogout?
- What are complications of pseudogout?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) of pseudogout?
- Can pseudogout be prevented?
In This ArticleRheumatoid Arthritis Article
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) facts
- What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What are causes and risk factors of rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and signs?
- What are complications of rheumatoid disease?
- How is rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?
- "First-line" rheumatoid arthritis medications
- "Second-line" or "slow-acting" rheumatoid arthritis drugs
- What are newer treatments for rheumatoid arthritis?
- What about rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy?
- Rheumatoid arthritis diet and other treatments
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with rheumatoid arthritis?
- Can rheumatoid arthritis be prevented?
- What research is being done on rheumatoid arthritis?
- Where can people get additional information on rheumatoid arthritis?
In This ArticleSeptic Arthritis Article
- What is septic arthritis?
- What microbes cause septic arthritis?
- Who is at risk of developing septic arthritis?
- What are symptoms and signs of septic arthritis?
- How is septic arthritis diagnosed?
- How is septic arthritis treated?
- What are complications of septic arthritis?
- Septic Arthritis At A Glance
In This ArticleSprains and Strains Article
- Muscle sprains and strains facts
- What is the difference between a sprain and a strain?
- What causes a sprain or strain?
- Where do sprains and strains usually occur?
- What are sprain symptoms and signs?
- How are sprains and strains diagnosed?
- How are sprains and strains treated?
- What is the recovery time for sprains and strains?
- Can sprains and strains be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of sprains and strains?
- Where can people find more information about sprains and strains?
In This ArticleTurf Toe Article
- What causes turf toe?
- What are the symptoms and signs of turf toe?
- How is turf toe diagnosed?
- How is turf toe treated? Is taping or rehab necessary in the treatment of turf toe?
- Can turf toe be prevented?
In This ArticleWarts (Common Warts) Article
- Wart facts
- What are common warts?
- What are some types of common warts?
- What is the treatment for common warts?
- Is using over-the-counter wart treatments safe?
- Are wart treatments effective?
- What if wart removal treatments fail?
Other Causes of Toe Pain
- Hammer Toe
- Other Injuries
Examples of Medications for Toe Pain
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.