Tolectin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tolectin
Generic Name: tolmetin (Pronunciation: TOLE met in)
- What is tolmetin (Tolectin)?
- What are the possible side effects of tolmetin (Tolectin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tolmetin (Tolectin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking tolmetin (Tolectin)?
- How should I take tolmetin (Tolectin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tolectin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tolectin)?
- What should I avoid while taking tolmetin (Tolectin)?
- What other drugs will affect tolmetin (Tolectin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is tolmetin (Tolectin)?
Tolmetin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Tolmetin is used to treat pain, inflammation, and stiffness caused by arthritis.
Tolmetin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Tolmetin 400 mg-MYL
capsule, blue, imprinted with MYLAN 5200
Tolmetin 400 mg-TEV
red, capsule, imprinted with N 815, 400
Tolmetin 600 mg-MYL
oval, beige, imprinted with M313
What are the possible side effects of tolmetin (Tolectin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using tolmetin and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness; or
- fever, headache, neck stiffness, chills, increased sensitivity to light, purple spots on the skin, and/or seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, mild heartburn, diarrhea, constipation;
- bloating, gas;
- dizziness, headache, nervousness;
- skin itching or rash;
- blurred vision; or
- ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Tolectin (tolmetin sodium) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about tolmetin (Tolectin)?
This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use tolmetin. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal. These gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking tolmetin. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Do not use any other over-the-counter cold, allergy, or pain medication without first asking your doctor or pharmacist. Many medicines available over the counter contain aspirin or other medicines similar to tolmetin (such as ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen). If you take certain products together you may accidentally take too much of this type of medication. Read the label of any other medicine you are using to see if it contains aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen.
Do not drink alcohol while taking tolmetin. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by tolmetin.
Additional Tolectin Information
- Tolectin Drug Interactions Center: tolmetin oral
- Tolectin Side Effects Center
- Tolectin Overview including Precautions
- Tolectin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options