- What other names is Tolu Balsam known by?
- What is Tolu Balsam?
- How does Tolu Balsam work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Tolu Balsam.
People take tolu balsam for cough, bronchitis, swollen airways, and cancer.
Tolu balsam is applied directly to the skin to treat bedsores, cracked nipples, cracked lips, and minor skin cuts.
Some people inhale tolu balsam to treat hoarseness and croup.
In foods, tolu balsam is used to flavor chewing gum, foods, and beverages.
In manufacturing, tolu balsam is used as a fixative, as a fragrance in soaps and cosmetics, and as a flavoring in cough medicines.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Swollen airways.
- Bedsores, when applied to the affected area.
- Cracked nipples, when applied to the affected area.
- Cracked lips, when applied to the affected area.
- Minor skin cuts, when applied to the affected area.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.