"Potential drug treatments are tested on paper, in laboratories and eventually in thousands of people. But every drug that goes through this cycle â€“ every drug that FDA approves â€“ carries some risk. One of the first lines of defense against "...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Tonocard Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Tonocard
Generic Name: tocainide (Pronunciation: toe CANE ide)
- What is tocainide (Tonocard)?
- What are the possible side effects of tocainide (Tonocard)?
- What is the most important information I should know about tocainide (Tonocard)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking tocainide (Tonocard)?
- How should I take tocainide (Tonocard)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Tonocard)?
- What happens if I overdose (Tonocard)?
- What should I avoid while taking tocainide (Tonocard)?
- What other drugs will affect tocainide (Tonocard)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is tocainide (Tonocard)?
Tocainide affects the way that your heart beats.
Tocainide is used to treat serious irregularity in heartbeat patterns.
Tocainide may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of tocainide (Tonocard)?
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking tocainide and seek emergency medical attention:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
- a new or a worsening irregular heartbeat pattern;
- wheezing, coughing, chest pain, or chest discomfort;
- unusual bruising or bleeding; or
- fever, sore throat, a sore mouth, mouth ulcers, or an infection.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take tocainide and talk to your doctor if you experience
- dizziness or tiredness;
- upset stomach, vomiting, decreased appetite, or diarrhea;
- headache or blurred vision;
- confusion; or
- numbness, tingling, or tremor (shaking).
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
Read the Tonocard (tocainide hcl) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects »
What is the most important information I should know about tocainide (Tonocard)?
Call your doctor immediately if you experience wheezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, chest pain, chest discomfort, worsening irregular heartbeats, a fever, a sore throat, a throat infection, a sore mouth, mouth ulcers, a rash, or unusual bruising or bleeding.
Do not skip doses or change your dosing schedule without talking to your doctor. Changing your schedule could make your condition much worse.
Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Tocainide may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. If you experience dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision, avoid these activities.
Additional Tonocard Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.